Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Optus
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Introducing the Optus Ultra WiFi Booster

Stream, game and browse in more places within your home, all at the same time with the new Optus Ultra WiFi booster.

Stay connected to the Optus Family Internet Ultimate plan for 36-months and we’ll cover the cost of your first Booster.

Learn more about the Optus Ultra WiFi Booster below:

optus-ultra-wifi-booster_YC.png

Reduce WiFi blackspots.

Your WiFi coverage may not extend to some areas of your home. This could be due to the size or layout of your home. By incorporating the Optus Ultra WiFi Booster into your Home internet setup, your family can enjoy more uninterrupted, wall-to-wall WiFi coverage  

Connect more devices with faster speeds and less interruptions.

The Optus Ultra WiFi Booster comes equipped with next generation WiFi 6 technology, allowing more users in the home to download from their compatible devices at the same time without significantly effecting download speeds.

Fuss free setup and seamless modem connectivity.

Connect to your Booster using the same WiFi Network name and password as your modem, there’s no need for a separate login. Compatible devices can also take advantage of WiFi roaming, ensuring that no matter where you are in the home, your device always connects to the strongest available WiFi Network.

How do I get an Optus Ultra WiFi Booster?

If you sign up to the Optus Family Internet Ultimate plan and stay connected for 36-months, you’ll receive one Optus Ultra WiFi Booster at no additional cost. 

You can also add up to 2 additional Boosters for a total of three on the same account. Additional Boosters can be purchased outright at a one-off cost of $216 or paid over time on a device payment plan over 12, 24 and 36 months.  

Note: If you’d like to add an Optus Ultra WiFi Booster to your existing nbn plan, you can do so by adding the Booster as an accessory. You can choose to pay for your Booster outright or over time on a 12, 24 or 36 month device payment plan.

You must be using either the Sagemcom 5366TN or Optus Ultra WiFi modem and be on an eligible nbn plan. A limit of 3 Optus Ultra WiFi Boosters per account applies.

Device specifications

Hardware

Triple Core CPU (ARM A7 @ 1.5GHz)

Broadcom system-chip and WiFi chipsets

256MB Flash memory

256MB RAM memory

2 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports 10/100/1000 Base-T

Case assembly and plug-pack

Contemporary curved design with non-scratch rubber feet

Small size - only 14.5 X 11 X 6 cm

Energy efficient MEPS VI plug-pack

Wireless Connectivity

AX3000 system

Dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz

2.4 GHz band: WiFi 6, 802.11ax, backwards compatible with 802.11b/g/n WiFi devices

5 GHz band: WiFi 6, 802.11ax, backwards compatible with 802.11a/n/ac WiFi devices

4x4 wireless backhaul to compatible Optus modem for strong high-speed connection

WiFi Beam Forming

WiFi Roaming

WiFi Roaming 802.11k/v

WiFi Band Steering

Home WiFi mesh system formed between the Ultra WiFi Booster and compatible Optus modem for maximum WiFi coverage and speeds

Q: I have a large house; can I take more than one Booster?

Yes, whilst one booster is generally enough for most households, you do have the choice to add up to 3 additional Boosters. These additional boosters will have an extra cost associated with them and can be taken on a 1/12/24 or 36 months Pay Over Time Basis.

Q: What modems can I use the Booster with?

The Optus Ultra WiFi Booster will work with the Sagemcom 5336TN and Optus Ultra WiFi (5366 LTE) Modem.

Q: Where should I place my Booster for best results?

You should place you booster somewhere elevated off the ground, within 2 meters of your Modem and away from other sources of interference, such as microwaves or refrigerators.

Q: Can I pay for my Booster in store?

Unfortunately, not, If you wish to pay for you booster outright, the cost will be applied to your next

Q: Can I switch to the new Optus Family Internet Ultimate plan?

Yes, you can. If you’re out of contract or on a month-month plan you can switch to the new Optus internet Ultra plan at no additional cost.

If you’re still in contract or wish to change your plan without recontracting, a fee may apply. You’ll be advised of any extra costs before we change your plan.

To find out more, message us via the My Optus app.

Q: Where can I find setup instructions?

Setup instructions including placement tips can be found in the Quick Start Guide that’s included within the packaging of your Optus Ultra WiFi Booster.

Q: Where can I find Optus Ultra WiFi booster troubleshooting instructions?

For troubleshooting instructions, follow the steps outlined up on our Optus Ultra WiFi Booster support page.

Want to learn more? Leave us with a comment below. Our community mod team are always happy to lend a hand 🙂 

18 Replies
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Introducing the Optus Ultra WiFi Booster

What lockdowns / disabled functionality does the WiFi booster have compared to the OEM and/or retail version of the hardware?

Technical people would be interested in this.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Also:

1) Which plans are eligible?

2) Why do you even have to be on a specific plan to use the booster? Why isn't just having a 5366 enough?

3) Can you explain why the Family Internet Ultimate plan is $10 more expensive than the Internet Everyday plan? The only ongoing service difference I can see is that it includes a Fetch mini, but that only accounts for $5 per month. Note that you shouldn't be accounting for the free WiFi Booster or the 3-month free channel pack upgrade as they are only temporary benefits and not ongoing like the unaccounted for $5 per month.

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - this is a Sagemcom product which must be WiFi Alliance EasyMesh compliant as only one Booster is required to pair to the F@ST 5366 TN or the Ultra  5366 LTE which act as the Controller for the Mesh network; both models must now have  EasyMesh compliant firmware. Usually carriers will also have cloud management software enabled so that they can troubleshoot any in home WiFI issues.  I don't think you will find a retail version. 

If true EasyMesh support, in theory it should pair with other modem's that support EasyMesh but that will remain to be seen.

You can can see it pictured here - unaware of model number at this stage.

https://www.sagemcom.com/en/best-home-wi-fi-connectivity?language_content_entity=en 

PS - Moderators  - the link to the Quick Start Guide or User Guide are not functioning on my iPad - errors out to page not available.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mkrtich wrote:

both models must now have  EasyMesh compliant firmware

The LTE firmware has already been pushed out, and TN updates started a couple of weeks ago and might be done by now.

This is the only meaningful config options you have are:

Screenshot_2021-02-09-20-35-24.png

If true EasyMesh support, in theory it should pair with other modem's that support EasyMesh but that will remain to be seen.

Yeah, hopefully they won't cripple it just to have exclusivity.

Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - thanks for posting the photo of the screen settings. It looks like a formidable offering to Family Internet Ultimate customers. I went into the information links in the Optus page and surprised to see that this feature appears to require single or common SSID set for the modem. Band Steering is also heavily promoted which is unexpected as, to my knowledge,  there is no standard for this - so proprietary - some legacy 2.4Ghz devices get disadvantaged by that feature being Enabled.  Beam Forming is part of the 801.11ac WiFi 5 (downlink only) and 802.11ax (downlink and uplink) WiFi 6 standard but the adapter has to support the function in order for it to be of any advantage.  

The other peculiarity in the specifications, perhaps a typo or something that was lost in translation is the "three core CPU"  the ARM Cortex A& comes in 1, 2 or 4 cores - perhaps its is a misdirected reference to a dedicated wi-fi chip used for the wireless backhaul? 

I went onto the French Sagemcom website - this modem has the same form factor as the F@ST286 Vodafone Super WiFi Booster and shows part numbers and certificates but no technical details. Couldn't match that info to any web search finds - must be very new, perhaps. Vodafone also offer a Wi-Fi Booster but the model shown on their web site has an older form factor, the Vodafone WiFi Booster AC (WiFi 5) , which is paired to the Vodafone WiFi Hub 2.0, had a stop sale applied to it on 14 Sept 2020. Interestingly their options for a Booster also covers 12/24/36 month add-on charges.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Looks like Optus have no idea how to support this device as Optus have not replied to any of the issues everyone has brought up in the posts above to either confirm or deny or give extra info....

If I am wrong then Optus will respond.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

They just don't like to answer "tough" questions, whether they be technical or policy in nature, and rather than giving us the courtesy of a reply (any reply) they just ignore use. Its very frustrating!

0 Kudos
KatyM
New Contributor
New Contributor

At least it looks like a mesh network with dual bands. Currently have an older 2GHz modem and an extender (a pain because the extender is technically another wifi network and often only runs at 1/3 the speed of the main line). I would only look at Optus NBN option if it's a mesh network (and the same network) with no speed loss. Need it to go to a work studio away from the house.

(note that Optus states for forum ATM: "Optus support teams are only able to respond to critical enquiries right now. If you need to speak to Optus call 133 937 and follow the prompts")

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - may be a opportune time to have an upgrade to the Ultimate Family Plan and get the WiFi Booster as well. Can't tell if both bands are used for backhaul to the modem. If running a LAN cable is not feasible between house and remote studio, an Ethernet Powerline Adapter Set (2) may also be worth looking at if the electrical cabling is on the same power circuit. My son had success with using a D-Link DHP-P309AV (AV500) in an apartment but when I tried it at my neighbour's very large home, it didn't synchronise - suspect due to being on different power circuits. 

Top Contributors