Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Optus
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Introducing the ASUS Gaming Modem

The ASUS Gaming Modem is our new modem which gives gamers the ultimate gaming experience by prioritising gaming traffic and reducing network congestion within the home.

ASUS Gaming Modem.png

Receive an ASUS Gaming modem for $0 on a 36 month device payment plan when you sign up to the Optus Internet Gamer 100 plan.

Learn more about the ASUS Gaming Modem below:

Everything you need to know about the ASUS Gaming Modem

ASUS Gaming Modem | Traffic Prioritisation Features

Troubleshooting your ASUS Gaming Modem – Key terms

ASUS Gaming Modem | General Set up and Troubleshooting

ASUS Gaming | Advanced Set up and Troubleshooting

Have you got your hands on one? Let Yes Crowd know what you think! 🎮

0 Kudos
28 Replies
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Introducing the ASUS Gaming Modem

Does this have Asus or Optus modified firmware?

0 Kudos
Steven_YC

Hey @AndS

The modem is co-developed with Asus which means there are some technical specification differences between the modem and base Asus model. The main difference is the removal of Trend Micro security software. For full specifications, please visit https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/gaming-internet-plans#asus-modem-specs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Someone should check out the bolded links on this page. One "here" goes nowhere  and "here" "Advanced Configuration" just loops back instead of going where its supposed to go. 

On the modem itself, this seems quite a coup. I don't think Asus pair with any other RSPs (yet?). The Asus modems are pretty top notch with a powerful interface - I actually wonder if it might be too powerful for many customers. Also AX wifi so no complaints there. Looking at the GUI photos it seems pretty close to my Asus interface so doesn't look like a lot removed.

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned though is cost. If a person leaves Optus then what is the modem originally worth. An AX Asus modem would suggest a $400+ price tag?

Ness_YC

Hey @petergdownload. Thank you for flagging this with us! I have reached out to the relevant back-end team so that they can make the necessary changes. As mentioned on our Gaming Internet Plans page the modem is $504. But, there is no modem cost if you stay connected for 36 months.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks @Ness_YC

That's a significant piece of hardware for many users. Is it an optional extra or now the default Optus modem on NBN plans?
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

It specific to the gamer plan. It can never be a default because it does not support phone.
0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@petergdownloadBing Lee have it on special for $349 at the moment as it's a clearance item:

https://www.binglee.com.au/asus-rt-ax82u-ax5400-dual-band-wifi-6-gaming-router

Jono_YC

Hi @petergdownload the modem is only available on our gaming plan. Please let us know if you need a hand with anything else.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@AndS The Optus one is labeled as a modem and the BingLee one is labeled a router. If the BingLee is really just a router and not a modem/router then that is a big difference.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors