Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Internet quality past 6 PM.

Hello I'm currently on an unlimited monthly Optus plan. I live in the Rockdale area of Sydney. I use a CG3000 2Staus modem. daily, for as long as my I can remember, the internet will always, without fail drop in quality at approximately 6PM, even if only I am using the internet. This resolves past midnight, and the poor internet gets worse when more than one device uses the internet. This problem has been plaguing me for a very long period of time and is beginning to drive me crazy! I would like any assistance to get out of my rut. 

Both screenshots has been taken at approximately 9:45pm 8/23/2017, and this is considered a good night!

image.png

image.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Internet quality past 6 PM.

Bog standard internet congestion. Nothing much you can do about it. Some areas are worse than others, depending on how many people are overloading the local exchange. Got worse with everybody trying to use Netflix in HD.

Australia ranks 50-60th in the world. That's not an abstract idea. It's a reality, which has been exascerbated by the NBN being downgraded by LNP.

PS: can't see that top screenshot for nuts.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is precisely why the ACCC has weighed in on the advertising ISPs use to get people to sign up.  The critical wording is "Sign with us and you'll get UP TO X speed....blah, blah, blah..."  The reality is much different.  You WILL get the top speed in the early morning and mostly through the day but in evenings when people start streaming...forget it.  Unless Optus has bought enough bandwidth from the NBN to cope with the peak you are in a situation that more and more people are finding themselves in now that the switchover to NBN has taken hold.  The bandwidth charge the NBN sets is very pricey.  ISPs don't want to pass the cost on to consumers and don't want to be the first company that charges a realistic price so they keep the price artificially low and curtail further bandwidth purchases.  You aren't alone...read any post here, or on Whirlpool, Telstra forums or any other ISP forum.  It's a disgrace caused by the LNP dictating that the NBN make large profits and the mish/mash of old technology being hybridised with new instead of the full-fibre option we were going to get under Labor.  10000000Gb is right.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I think the OP @HappyProblems  is using the old internet.

BTW, @TommyB, try typing the @ symbol.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@10000000000GB   My bad.Smiley Embarassed  Sorry!  BTW, I was just talking on Viber to a friend in California who is about to get connected to a ONE GIGABIT service for about $70 US a month with all the associated tv stuff as well.  And here we are in Australia with the NBN connecting copper services to Fibre!  Mamma mia! Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

How long is "as long as you can remember?"

I assume you're on Optus cable? Or just ADSL2+

Have you requested Optus send a tech and investigate?

Have you tried setting your DNS to Optus DNS rather than Google (8.8.8.8)?

Are you on contract still? 

Looks like you're due to get FTTC (NB) in about 9 months.  

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

@TommyB 

Damn that sucks... guess I really need to squeeze out all the internet speed I can possibly get.

@petergdownload

I am not using NBN. I called up optus support in assistance for my poor internet. He was surprised that my internet was so poor! They sent over a technician who simply changed the wireless channel to 11, which did absolutely nothing to help the situation. We are still on contract. I do not know if I have ADSL2+ or cable, I will report back to you later. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CG3000-2STAUS/349768_OPT16401_1401709_CMuserguideV2_OL_HR...

That is a cable modem, so your performance is pretty bad. You have focussed on how bad it is in peak hour, but what's it like at midnight?

Look at these impressive speeds

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/EXTREMELY-slow-cable-speed/td-p/205769

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@HappyProblems

You should conduct any speed tests over a wired connection. That rules out (or confirms) any wireless issue. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos