Searching...

Internet problems and ridiculous Optus support

Hugelolcat

I'd noticed a noticeable drop in my Optus cable speeds since roughly Jan 5. I left it alone for a while thinking it might just be an intermediate thing, but it hadn't gotten any better. What was really irking me though was my Fetch TV picture quality had gotten low enough that smaller text was just an impossible blur to try and read.

Rant start...

I called up Optus support... first time "no issue with Internet". Call again this time to Optus Fetch TV support on a 45 min wait time "everything is fine". Call up the next day "hm I can see some dropped packets, we'll send a technician out at the most inconvenient times"... so I elected 12pm-4pm since I had to take a day off work in any scenario. That was today, and guess what happened at 4pm... no one arrived. Call up again asking where the hell is this technician given I just took a day off work and cannot leave in case he comes late. "Oh there's a network fault found in your area and we cancelled the technician without telling you..." WHAT THE HELL.... seriously?? Anyway it's 11pm, I call again to check what's going on and the Optus phone robot says there's a known network issue in the area with NO ESTIMATED TIME FOR RESOLUTION.

... big sigh.

Given how completely and utterly useless Optus tech support have been on knowing what's going on, has anyone else been experiencing dodgy Optus cable internet and Fetch TV for the past week-ish? Im in West Ryde NSW. Note I'd also recently received one of those NBN flyers about work in the neighbourhood, though they had indicated it would only impact in off peak times (weekday afternoon).

Re: Internet problems and ridiculous Optus support

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Cancel an appointment but not think to let the other party know? That would be annoying.

Not sure what you mean by Fetch TV picture quality (Fetch TV channels? Netflix? FTA?) my understanding is that only Netflix actively reduce PQ to match bandwith. But I could be wrong on that.

FWIW the NBN will have no direct affect on Optus Cable. The Optus cable network is being junked in the next two years and NBN are only working with upgrading the Telstra cable network. The indirect efffect is that Optus are probably loath to spend much time or money maintaining or upgrading a cable network they no longer own and that will be gone in two years. Coupled with the increase of unlimited data heavy users that like streaming TV, your not the first to notice a drop in cable speeds.

Checking Ryan in the Optus Outage page shows no issues reported. Hopefully that means they've fixed your problem and you're good to go? If not then customer service people have been known to use the "There's a known issue with no know timeframe for a fix" as a cover all explanation.

What sort of speed test speeds are you getting (peak and off peak?)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hugelolcat

Hi Peter, appreciate your response. Addressing your questions:

Not sure what you mean by Fetch TV picture quality (Fetch TV channels? Netflix? FTA?) my understanding is that only Netflix actively reduce PQ to match bandwith. But I could be wrong on that.

Only the streamed channels on Fetch TV have dipped in quality and they certainly do change quality dynamically as I've observed over the years. With the issue I'm experiencing currently the FTA channels are fine and HD FTA channels look beautiful. All of the streamed channels however are of a low quality than usual - very evident with the eGG channel because it's an eSports channel and some text typical of what's seen on a computer monitor are small and currently unreadable on the channel whereas last year was nice and clear. Other symptoms - when selecting a streamed channel it takes more seconds to come up (assume it's buffering) than before to the point it's quite obvious, and also downloading a movie from the Fetch TV movie box is very very slow. I took a video and it was downloading at a rate between 80 to 250 KB/s - and no there wasn't really any other activity on my internet at the time.

Checking Ryan in the Optus Outage page shows no issues reported. Hopefully that means they've fixed your problem and you're good to go? If not then customer service people have been known to use the "There's a known issue with no know timeframe for a fix" as a cover all explanation.

I haven't checked this morning before I headed to work, but I haven't received an SMS about resolution. The Optus support guy informed me that I'd be notified by SMS if it was fixed - having said that I wasn't notified when the issue was identified in the first place nor that the technician appointment had been cancelled.

What sort of speed test speeds are you getting (peak and off peak?)

Yesterday was a bit of mess in that there were several times when the internet had dropped out entirely. However more generally over the past week it's been a bit weird... internet is available but selectively slower as I'll explain: Using speedtest.net I was regularly getting about 4.7 Mbps down and 0.4 up against Optus Sydney, similarly to Optus Newcastle, and slightly better (7Mbps down if I recall) to Optus Gold Coast. Against Exetel it was around 10Mbps down... and against Telstra and Internode it was 21Mbps or so down. These were done in the same evening a few days ago. Prior to this year against Optus Sydney it was consistently at near theoretical maximum (29 down, 1.7+ up) and I had been rather pleased.

petergdownload

Hey Ryan,

Streamed and FTA channels are completely different (you could disconect the CAT5 cable and the FTA would continue unaffected or  you could disconnect the aerial and the streamed would continue unaffected). Interesting to note the PQ does change dynamically.

I take it you are not on the 100Mbps cable speed pack? 30Mbps down would then normally be your limit. Are you testing in peak hour? (6pm to midnight). Be interesting if the speeds improve at say 7am?

Hopefully it is a specific issue and you get that SMS (support guys seem to often to mention that something like getting an SMS will happen but the follow through can be a bit shakey IME).

Let us know if you hear anything further.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

ColbyWR

Unfortunately its not specific to one person. I just contact tech support and they said i'm the 11th person to report the problem in the same area of West Ryde and they have techs working on it. Yet network status shows no issues!

petergdownload

That's good news in my books. A specific fault with multiple residents noticing would likely be properly fixed.

Bad luck for the breakdown, but good to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hugelolcat

Ok great, that's what I was trying to determine by starting this thread (i.e. was anyone else experiencing this). The phone robot still indicates an open fault in the area with no resolution time - I tried to get more information from tech support but it took me literally 5 minutes to even convince the support person that there WAS a known fault as per their own phone recording and to stop asking me to factory reset or restart my modem.

I'm hoping it gets resolved soon.

Hugelolcat

The incompetence continues.

I called up this evening because I hadn't received an SMS yet that the issue had been resolved (to which 2-3 Optus support people over the past couple of days assured me I would receive). Sure enough the phone recording about an open fault is no longer there, so I stayed on the line to talk to a support person to check what the hell is going on. As expected more apologies about not sending an SMS that the issue was resolved/closed, the support person proceeded to tell me that they're seeing a "frequency issue" on my cable connection, and they need to send a technician over.

Seriously? After they just cancelled the tech on Tuesday (without telling me they cancelled, and I specifically had to take a day off work) here we are again. Optus' policy to auto-cancel technicians in the area simply because another unrelated outage has come up is completely stupid. Speed tests are still very low. I've requested to speak to their supervisor and give them an earful.

I am now also going to seek compensation on all this stupidity. I'm the one telling them there's an issue, I took a day off work for no reason, and I'm the one wasting my time calling up to get updates when all of this should be done by Optus. And they're asking me to waste another day on their whim. There's not enough colourful language in English to describe how I feel about Optus.

DarthChin

Hi mate

i am also in west ryde and my internet has been down since 9/01 apparently “open circuit” Telstra to fix (currently with TPG moving to Optus) does anyone know if Optus have their own lines in west ryde to the ryde exchange?

redrob

What support are you getting?.. I cant get any without changing my details all the time and still end up getting nowhere.. I strongly believe a change of server is imminent.. 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
50 Kudos
45 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos