Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RoddyJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Internet drops regularly momentarily

That's what I thought too! - very hard to explain why the Aussie Broadband experience is different given that the only impact was a churn to a new retailer.

0 Kudos
quach128
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

well ive been troubleshooting this issue for most of the day with Cisco, they came to the same conclusion, ARP requests are being ignored upstream to NBN NTD, causing the MX65 to go into "failover" mode which switches the primary uplink to secondary and then back again within 5 - 10 seconds.  So its flapping bigtime

The logs seem to capture this flapping as well.  Its stable with Sagemcom, my guess is sagemcom doesnt have any advanced failover mechanism which uses ARP to discover "alive" connections so it doesnt care if ARP is being ignored by the NBN NTD.

Time (AEST) [Sorting down]
Client Event type Details
Jun 29 16:04:35 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 15:58:30 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 15:58:25 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 15:32:51 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 15:29:58 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 15:29:35 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 15:03:15 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 15:03:13 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 15:03:04 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 15:02:43 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:53:17 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:53:13 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:50:44 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:50:39 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:40:37 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:34:20 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:16:59 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:16:58 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:16:48 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:13:21 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 14:12:10 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 14:05:35 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 09:32:46 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 09:32:41 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 09:17:16 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 09:17:11 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 29 09:09:26 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 29 09:09:21 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1
Jun 28 14:55:33 Primary uplink status change uplink: 0
Jun 28 14:55:29 Primary uplink status change uplink: 1

0 Kudos
quach128
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

it does this all day all night.. flip flop flip flop. very fustrating

0 Kudos
RoddyJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes - it was my conclusion that the simpler modem didn't do the ARP check to the gateway, therefore didn't create problems for itself. 

Pretty weird!

PS.  Have you licensed this for your own use or for a company?  I'm not sure how to proceed with relicensing this for my home use it's like.. $900 for 3 years for this and my MR33 with just the basic license, not IPS, content filtering etc 

0 Kudos
quach128
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I work for a company that resells Meraki, so Ive got their free gear which includes the MX65, WAP and Switch. Strange thing is that it was working when I initially switched over to Optus NBN for about 3 - 4 months, its only recently been doing this in the last 2 - 3 weeks.

I think If Ill try the Ubiquity gear when this expires maybe, or ill just sit for the refresher course in Meraki again. Dont know what to do but this instability is killing my WFH experience =(

0 Kudos
RoddyJ
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I switched over to NBN in June 2019.  It was good and stable for ages.  

It went dodgy in Feb for a couple of weeks and then came good but i didn't notice as i wasn't WFH.  Randomly following beta firmware upgrade it suddenly went dodgy again in April.  I downgraded but it didn't make any difference.  It stayed dodgy until I churned providers.

0 Kudos
quach128
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

NBN is coming tomorrow to have a look , not sure if they know what the problem is since the problem won’t happen using the sagemcom router.
0 Kudos
quach128
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

OK, Ive given up on the Meraki MX64.  

I believe the problem is with the way the Meraki device handles IPOE handoff from the Netcom NBN NTD.  (FFTC).   I dont know exactly why though, and Cisco think its the NTD not responding to ARP, however I did a full packet capture of the WAN uplink, and sure enough the NTD is responding to ARP with no delays.  Meraki WAN polls ARP - 300 seconds, if theres no response within 300 seconds it tries other mechanisms like DNS ping to google as well, if these all fail - it renders the WAN down, and flips the WAN to secondary.  

NBN came out and did checks on their end and there were no faults found in the network, but swapped the NTD just in case.  - Same behaviour on the new NTD as well.

I also thought it could be the SNORT engine (IDS) causing false blocking on the NBN circuit.  Turned it all off, but still same behaviour.

Since then ive given up on the MX64 - I would caution anyone who wants to use this to terminate NBN with a IPOE provider, as I think theres something wrong in their code that doesnt like IPOE negotiation.

Ive now switched to PfSense running on my Hyper-V server, no issues with Dual-WAN no dropouts, and all connections are stable.

I hope this helps someone else out there who is experiencing this issue with the MX64, because ive spent days troubleshooting with Optus/NBN and Cisco. 

Solution: SWAP to MX64 another Router if your NBN provider uses IPOE.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors