Searching...

Re: Internet drop outs

Celticvoice6

Now you are saying the modem. I thought it was the router number that was important. They hVe two different usernames and passwords.

Celticvoice6

This is what I got when I signed into the router (sagemcom). When I clicked on channels, you can see what I got. What does 36/80 mean? Is that better than auto? 

756B6B9F-C834-442E-B756-2DCB66327BAD.png

Yeldarb

Well done the picture is excellent. I gather when its on auto it selects the channel automatically. If you change it to 36/80 it will use the channels within that range. I must say I have not seen a large range of channel selections like that before however its been a long time since I have used a modern modem or router. Under Band does it say 5GHz or 2.4Ghz?

Celticvoice6

But still I am having dropouts. So if it changes channels, why am I having dropouts? Is there perhaps some other problem with my modem/router? Do I need a technician?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Changing channels is only one of the steps that you can try. Under Band does it say 5GHz or 2.4Ghz as this can also cause dropouts especially if you are fair distance from the router.

Celticvoice6

The router is very near us. It has 5g on it, but we can use 5 or 2.4. We were told to use 5g. Interesting, as I was told on the Live chat that I could change channels. Each person tells me something different. Live chat said I can’t do it by iPad, and the Facebook Optus said I can. But it seems I can’t touch the channels. I now have a technician coming out later this week. Will let you know what he says. I am very grateful to you for your advice and support. 

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Hmm 5GHz is faster and less prone to interference however the signal does not carry as far as 2.4GHz. If you were a fair distance from the router it would be worth trying 2.4Ghz. Yes you can change anything within the Admin section of your router using any wireless device including your iPad or iPhone. I'm not sure why support told you that you couldn't.

Well if anything you have learnt how to access the router and that can only come in handy at a later stage. The video below explains the difference between the bands and might be worth watching. Let us know how you get on with the technician. Cheers Smiley Happy

Celticvoice6

An Optus technician came and checked everything. He gave us a new router. He did say that our old modem, that had the router inside, was a far better device. He said the new modem with external router were not as good. I have to agree. Anyway, so far we have not had many dropouts. He said there was no need to manually change the channels as our devices do it automatically. I did have the feeling that our dropouts were due to some kind of interference. Our next door neighbour, whom we share a common wall with, have a google device that they can talk to. Sometimes that device comes up on our list of devices. It will say Kitchen. And it is not locked so there is no password. It doesn’t come up on the list now, but I did find that a bit weird. Another weird device name came up on the list once too. But so far, we are now fine with the new router. Do you think this might have been he problem, that various devices were interfering?

Yeldarb

It's possible that interference can cause dropout but I would have thought this would be more likely the further away you were from the router.

Highlighted

Celticvoice6

Thanks for your ongoing support. So far so good. Here’s hoping it continues. 👍

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
85 Kudos
80 Kudos
64 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos