Searching...

Re: Internet attrocious at night.

gajinoz

"That's really disappointing to hear gaijinoz Smiley SadWas there any reason given for the poor performance on the Mobile Broadband? Is it poor reception or the Mobile Broadband device not supporting the required frequencies in your area?"

Of course there was no reason given, just the usual nonsense about upgrades happening "real soon". Poor reception? I'm no more than 3 Km from the tower, direct line of sight, I can literally see it from my kitchen window. Device not supporting required frequencies? Well, you supplied the devices, both of them, so if they don't support your frequencies I'd like to know why!

Yesterday everything went off the air, data, phone, everything. No, it's not just me, all the people in town I spoke to who are unfortunate enough to have Optus phones are off the air too. It's still down.

No matter though, I drove 50 Km to get a Telstra prepaid phone and mobile internet wifi box to try them out. Both not only work perfectly here but the net connection is WAY faster, orders of magnitude faster. 

Guess what I'm going to do tomorrow? Here's a hint, back to the Telstra shop to change over all my services. Problem solved.

swiftpaw

Is there a Moderator who could explain this to me? I have asked on the phone and could not get a straight answer. It is my belief the router is a problem but it could be the other end of the WAN connection as well. It's been like this all year.

As far as I know there should not be any collisions, and it doesnt matter how many times I restart the router these collsions are happening as soon as it's turned back on.

Thanks.

collisions.png

Nghi

Hey swiftpaw, collisions are a normal part of an Ethernet network and the protocol has been designed to work with it. It happens when two or more computers/devices try to send data at the same time and clash. They then stop and try to resend again after a random amount of time. This is expected behaviour. On it's own it isn't an indicator of any fault with the router or connection. 

swiftpaw

Thankyou for the reply, my concern is that this is an extremely large number of collisions and my connection has been experiencing lag and drop outs. I had initially thought this was due to the netflix problems which in part it is due to high evening lag however the regular ping time is also slow at all times of the day/night.

Highlighted

gajinoz

What he is actually telling you here swiftpaw is the the line/exchange you are on is wildly oversubscribed resulting in the collisions you see and, hence, the poor response times. This is standard operating procedure for Optus. Enjoy!

Nghi

I can understand what you are saying swiftpaw however the modem stats you have posted do not point towards a modem/line fault at the moment. I would raise a fault with tech support if you are experiencing difficulties outside of peak hours. 

swiftpaw

Thanks for the response, 

I have been in contact a few times with tech support over the phone however it is hard to pinpoint the issue.

I'm on a cable connection which has gradually gotten slower as time went by since I subscribed in I think it was November 2013. It then of course went really bad at peak times due to the netflix stuff.  

naske222

Tell me about it im getting at peak time 2mb max speeds and i pay 110 a month for this...

Nghi

It does appear you are impacted by peak time slows however if you are still experiencing slows outside of peak hours then need to escalate the fault. That's the only way it can be resolved. Intermittent faults can be rticky to pinpoint and may require multiple techs to investigate.

valet8

@Dan_DS4 days to go for 'anytime this month'. Obviously you must have a better understanding of when the upgrade is scheduled. Could you please let me know.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
96 Kudos
90 Kudos
47 Kudos
36 Kudos
33 Kudos