cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor jw5801
New Contributor

International Roaming - Optus Android App - estimated data usage wildly underreported

I'm on the top business plan one prior to the current, which includes 1GB/month of international roaming data. I would love to be able to track that data usage using the when overseas.

Unfortunately the estimate roaming usage page in the app shows 0.05 MB used (left) when the actual usage is 360 MB (right).

{406CAC21-F15D-4E73-9681-A6973AF00DAD}.png.jpg

Any thoughts on how to correct this bug, or on how to prompt Optus to correct it? I've raised a ticket previously and not had any resolution.

Obviously I can workaround by checking usage on the Optus website, but that's a lot more tedious.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: International Roaming - Optus Android App - estimated data usage wildly underreported

Optus essentially make no claims to accuracy or timeliness of usage data (online of on the phone itself). Relying on it will more likely than not result in you paying excess fees (and when overseas hefty excess fees) - which may give you some indication as to why Optus aren't in to much of a rush to address this problem. Smiley Indifferent

If you have an android phone I would recomend setting local data warning and limits on it. An iPhone unfortunately only allows you to reset a ongoing counter but you can keep an eye on that as much more accurate (and immediate) than anything Optus will send you.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor jw5801
New Contributor

Re: International Roaming - Optus Android App - estimated data usage wildly underreported

I use the android data warnings and will continue to do so. The question is why there is conflicting information between the app and the website. I've been back in Aus for a week, the correct roaming data usage of 360 MB is available, but the app still reports a farcical 0.05 MB.

The information available from the website should be accessible in the app, one would think, and certainly the information available in one should not contradict the other.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

One would think (If one were not Optus). 

The answer is Optus make no representations to accurately and in a timely manner provide you with data usage details. The various platforms (web, app, customer service, etc.) all have access to different data. Each source can be incorrect and each source can be different. Overseas roaming even more so as data comes via a third party (i.e. an overseas Telco).

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor jw5801
New Contributor

This is not a once off or a new issue, it's certainly not an error in the reporting from a third party, it is consistently wrong in the app to the point of just not being reported.

Across the last 13 months that I have been with Optus and multiple different countries, the same bug has existed. And they certainly do make representations as to the accuracy of their data, since they'll be charging me based on it.

That they don't claim the information provided will be accurate is not a satisfactory answer, so this can stay open until Optus address the bug in their app.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I perhaps misspoke. When it comes time to bill you you will find out how much data you used and what you will be charged. Optus are indeed usually pretty accurate in that. You'll find that if you want to contact Optus and question any of these numbers you'll be told nothing can be done really until you get your bill. 

What I'm referring to is the period up to when the bill is issued. During this time you'll get a "best efforts" approach which is sort of meaningless as the best effort results in a range of numbers. 

Agree its well worth feeding back to Optus, but as I suggested you're better off taking control of your own usage rather than paying excess fees to Optus due to incorrect information they provide.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos