cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Increasing the number of devices on my Optus router

Help!

Firstly I'm not tech savy so this may seem silly or obvious to some I'm sorry

Having just established that my new Optus router supplied only allows 16 devices and reading the comments it appears it is not an easy fix 

If I was to buy the Google Nest WIFI router can this be plugged in to the Optus one and configured to work in some way and allow me to achieve the 30 odd WIFI connections I need?

Thanks for any advice

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Increasing the number of devices on my Optus router

Hi @TJ2708, thanks for reaching out to us here. You can certainly add a Non Optus device to improve  your connections but because its not a Optus sold device, technical support may be limited from Optus.  I'd recommend checking out our online  guide  here  that may assist.  But before you buy I'd still recommend checking with Optus  techs here  and make sure it will work or help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @TJ2708,

What sort of NBN connection do you have? FTTN? FTTC? HFC? Check here:

https://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/check-your-address

The main question is do you need/have a landline? If not then you can use any router you like (just retire the Optus one). Is this the Optus one you have (I'm a bit surprised its only 14 wifi clients in such a modern unit). It may be its 14 in 5Ghz SID and 14 in the 2.4Ghz band?

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/New-Optus-supplied-modem-Sagemcom-5366TN/td-p/5...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Yes a landline is essential unfortunately.

Its FTTC we have

There appears to be another modem the "Ultra" I wonder wether this has a larger capacity. I will contact Optus today and enquire

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok. Optus do make it difficult to keep the landline if you don't use there modem. However you can bring your own router on FTTC into the mix (with better wifi). Note you would disable the wifi on your Optus unit and enable only the wifi on the one you bought.

There is the full guide and thread here with a you tube explanation here

0 Kudos