Searching...

Increasing spam

GNNBK

I’m receiving increasing spam which is not being caught by the Optusnet spam filter.

All sorts of gift cards, surveys, offers to test products and other rubbish – a noticeable increase in recent weeks from what I presume is the same spammer faking well known Australian brands quite cleverly, if there is anything clever about people who like to waste our time.

I’ve reported these through webmail with no result.

Gmail and anti-virus programs like AVG catch these – why can’t Optus?

I think Optus needs to get more serious about spam.

I’ve been with Optus for 20 years but am now seriously considering changing to a gmail address.

Once I do that, of course, I am no longer tied to Optus internet for my Optusnet email address so am free to go.

I think it would be in Optus’s interest to do more about spam in order to keep their internet customers.

Can Optus do this?

Re: Increasing spam

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Spam is a complicated matter given that most spammers change email and servers nearly every second email they send. I believe that Optus would run the risk of blocking legitimate emails if they started using some of the more advanced mail filtering programs.

I can only reccomend that you never respond to spam and try and protect you main email address as much as possible. Setting up a free email account with someone like Yahoo or Google and only using Optus for important emails would be my recommendation.

GNNBK

Thankyou for your feedback.

I certainly never respond to spam and do try and protect my main email address as much as possible.

Unfortunately as I've had an optusnet email address for many, many years it is inevitable that it gets on to spammers lists and once it is out there, setting up a free email account with someone like Yahoo or Google and only using your Optus email for important emails doesn't help me keep spam out of my Inbox.

My spam seems to have got worse after a legitimate forum I belonged to got hacked recently.

I still feel Optus could do better at trapping spam.

Yeldarb

Yes I understand how frustrating it can be as I spend the better half of my mornings dealing with this very problem on a much larger scale. I must say that it is very difficult to block determined spammers short of running a white list that specifies who you will except emails from. I must also say it's very difficult to determine how affective an isp is at bouncing mail from known spam sources as you don't see what has been rejected.

As I said to a customer of mine recently, for every single spam email you recieve there are 10 emails you haven't seen. Short of Optus spending more time developing their spam filters the only option left is to filter spam at your end. If there is any consolation spammers do eventually go away however it can often take months if not years.

GNNBK

Well, Gmail and AVG can catch these spams so maybe if Optus was serious they should be spending more time developing their spam filters.

You suggest that I should filter spam at my end but how do I do that when reading email in Optus webmail?

Yeldarb

Relying on webmail to filter spam is not as affective as running your own local mail program with spam filtering abilities. Using a local email program would also act as a second line of defense and would give you much more flexibility. I can appreciate that other mail providers may be more affective at filtering spam however until such time as Optus improve their spam filtering technology there is not much else you can do.

GNNBK

Filtering emails on my mobile is my main problem.

To conclude that "until such time as Optus improve their spam filtering technology there is not much else you can do" brings me back to the whole point of writing this post in the first place!

GNNBK

Frustrated at the lack of actual help here, I decided to take the old fashioned approach and put my concerns in writing to Optus by post.

Soon after I received an email with the subject "Optis Account" and though the misspelling was a sure sign of yet another spam, but lo, it was a lady from Adelaide replying to my letter!

Her response essentially told me nothing, but the misspelling of the heading, as well as within the email, and the mixed grammar, struck me as a reminder that Optus is not the company it used to be all those years ago when it started.

Since then I’ve found that a way to circumvent the poor spam filtering by Optus is to route your Optus email through Gmail as per the link below.   It is a bit tricky to set up, but seems to be working so far.   I'm so glad to see Gmail catching all those spams that Optus misses.

So, try this:

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_route_my_email_through_gmail/

GNNBK

Just an update that routing my Optusnet email through Gmail (as described above) is working a treat, and catching ALL of the spam that Optus seems incapable of detecting.

Disappointing ..... Optus!   But, at least there is a workaround.

Shauna

Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you, @GNNBK. Sorry to hear that we’re making you disappointed Smiley Sad Check out this article on how to report Spam and set Spam filtering. For further assistance speak to our Tech Support team here. Kartik  

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
50 Kudos
43 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos