cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Chris22
New Contributor

Inconsistent Internet (Slow speeds, Horrible Packet Loss) - Optus Cable

Can someone please explain to me why my internet is literally garbage?

After signing up with an Optus Cable plan (100mbsdown/20mbsup) earlier this year, I found that my speeds at night were awful they would drop to (5mbsdown/0.02mbsup) every night. After about 3 months it was all fine and my speeds were consistent throughout day and night. Now recently these awful speeds are back and are starting to occur during the day as well. Over the past two weeks, there have been multiple outages. I have contacted the Support Team multiple times and they told me the issue would be fixed shortly and sure enough, it was. However, the fix would only last for 2-3 days then again return back to poor speeds and horrible packet loss. I understand that there may be congestion in my area, but this issue is persistent even during non-peak hour periods.

I am not sure what to do, I can't switch providers because the only other provider in my area is Telstra (which I was previously with) and they only offer ADSL 2+

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Inconsistent Internet (Slow speeds, Horrible Packet Loss) - Optus Cable

Hey Chris, not good to hear that you've been experiencing some trouble with your speed lately 😞 

Has peak time slowness been confirmed as impacting your service at all?

It sounds like we'll need to take a look into this, please PM me with your account number/username so we can run some tests.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Ciny255
New Contributor

I have the same issue, but the internet is basically useless from 3pm until after midnight every day, weekends are terrible as well.

I've been to the TIO i got a $20 credit per month a free speed pack which i was previously paying for and i was given a chance to opt out of my contract but there was an expiry date on that which has passed. The only other internet service i can get is ADSL2+ but that is just too slow for our gaming. Pretty poor service if you ask me, If i knew that the service was going to be this bad i would of stayed away from optus and just held out for NBN from someone else.

Optus needs to fix this, they know how to fix it they are just too big on getting a nice profit to fill thier fat pockets than actually give a stuff about their customers.

0 Kudos
New Contributor jarrod1976
New Contributor

Just in case anyone else reads this post, it might be worth checking this article out https://www.tangerinetelecom.com.au/help/why-is-my-nbn-running-slow

Plenty of things to think about when it comes to slow internet.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors