cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor wom-bat
Occasional Contributor

Re: IPv6 at Optus

I first asked about ipv6 from Optus Cable back in 2003.  The same answer was given back then IIRC.

As the AARNET tunnel broker is becoming unreliable, this is a matter of more and more urgency.  What's more, I've heard NBN is supposed to be dual-stack, so when/if it's deployed over OPTUS's fabric, you'll *have* to provide it.  When is this going to happen?

-- Wom the Bat!

RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Definitely aware of the implications of not having IPv6 in the future wom-bat and once we have a date or any further info we will pass this on. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor sndguru
Occasional Contributor

Wom-bat have a look at Hurricane Electric https://tunnelbroker.net/ I've been using them for maybe 6 months and found them to be very stable.  Being that we have no choice than to use these tunnel brokers you might as well find a good one.  Only problem is the traffic has to go to the US, but that hasn't made a huge issue for me.

I'm getting NBN between Apr-Jun so my provider choice will be heavily weighted on a provider who is setup for the future.  So then it'll be me trying to convince Optus to dual stack their mobile network so I can utilize IPv6.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I know about Hurricane Electric.  As my main use-case is for low-latency traffic to/from AARNET the AARNET broker is a better fit -- and the person who runs it is a personal friend so I can lean on him (a little) when it breaks.  But native IPv6 would be better all round.

Occasional Contributor pbbear
Occasional Contributor

The NBN enables dual-stack, but doesn't require an RSP provide it - which means Optus can continue to fail in this regard, but the NBN is not an excuse for such failure, for Optus or any other RSP. I'll take my business to the RSPs that does provide IPv6 when the NBN rolls around to my place.

In the meantime, Re tunnel-brokers - I use the SIXXS/OCCAID broker, with a gateway in Sydney. Avoids the Hurricane Electric latency of tromboning through the USA, and also ensures the IPv6 traffic is visible in Australia, so that ISPs can't claim there is no demand for IPv6 just because they can't see much of the traffic hidden inside IPv4 tunnels to the USA.  https://www.sixxs.net/pops/occaid/

FWIW, some nights I see more than 40% of all traffic coming in on IPv6 through the tunnel.

Occasional Contributor

@pbbearunfortunately I came in too late (like Optus with IPv6) to get a SIXXS tunnel, so had to resort to a HE as I couldn't find an Australia provider still giving out endpoints Smiley Sad  I still love their sign up page, https://www.sixxs.net/signup/

<rant> We want IPv6, and we want it NOW! </rant>

Occasional Contributor

I note that Singtel (Optus's parent company) has provisioned ipv6 on its cable for residential customers since 2013.

0 Kudos
New Contributor alexb
New Contributor

wom-bat do you have a link to the source of your information?  

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

They've been offereing IPv6 on request on their fibre network since 2012; and recently on their mobile networks as well. https://www.singtelshop.com/agreements/FAQs.pdf

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@Hollie "once we have a date or any further info we will pass this on"

Hello Hollie/Optus, it's been six months since your last comment, wondering if - as per the above - you have any more information or a date?  I've just checked my phone and I'm still only getting a 10.140.127.X address ;(

I've finally been connected the the NBN network at home and I am working to get IPv6 fully implemented, and it would be really great if my mobile could join in.

Thanks

Top Contributors