cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor JohnnyB
Occasional Contributor

IPv6 at Optus

I've been using IPv6 via a tunnelling service for a couple of years now.  Today I logged into the tunnelling providers website (once you set up a tunnel you really don't go back to their site very often) and noticed a saying that they are no longer issuing new tunnels and to "Contact your ISP for IPv6".

I'd like to know what the timeline is for Optus to enable IPv6 (I hope it's on someone's timeline), especially for NBN users.

Regards

John.

31 Replies
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Re: IPv6 at Optus

Hey John!

It's something that is definitely on our radar but no timeframe as yet. Watch this space for more details Smiley Happy

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor Petz
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hollie,

Is there any extra details at all you can provide on this. The has been the standard public stance from Optus and other ISPs for far to long. More specific details should be ready by now. Will there be a beta program, when etc...

I moved from Internode who has had opt-in IPv6 since July 18, 2008. I would move to again in the future to another ISP with IPv6. Unfortunatly my current house is a long way from the exchange(slow for ADSL) and cable is avaialble. Hence my choice for Optus. NBN might change my access options when it comes.

ISPs need to get moving. We are seeing IPv6 only resources on the internet now. So if your only providing IPv4 your only providing access to half the internet(protocol wise)!

Regards Jarrod

Tags (1)
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Jarrod - can definitely understand where you're coming from and as soon as we have more info we'll let you know.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor pbbear
Occasional Contributor

I'm also looking for IPv6. It only been around for more than 15 years already, and the official Internet line is that its not an Internet service unless it supports IPv4 AND ipv6 concurrently (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6540).

Optus is woefully behind the times, as shown here http://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU.

When will IPv6 dual-stack be turned on for cable users? or NBN users?

Occasional Contributor

I'm also looking for IPv6. It only been around for more than 15 years already, and the official Internet line is that its not an Internet service unless it supports IPv4 AND ipv6 concurrently (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6540).

Optus is woefully behind the times, as shown here http://ipv6-test.com/stats/country/AU.

When will IPv6 dual-stack be turned on for cable users? or NBN users?

Tags (1)
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey @pbbear - no info or timeframe as yet but definitely something our Networks guys are working on.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor sndguru
Occasional Contributor

If I can plus one this thread also, understanding the last comment was only days ago, but @pbbear is completely right, @Holly the time for planning was years ago, this plan should be well in affect now and there really should be some form of timeline if not a rollout now.

This is something I've been contacting my home internet provider for the past 5 years (annually) and I've had (what looks like) zero movement.  Like @JohnnyB has said, tunnel providers shouldn't existing in 2016.  So for the past 6 weeks I've been in contact weekly with my ISP to push this point more strongly.  I'll most likely add yourselves into this weekly request, as we need IPv6 today!

How can we escalate this further, I would love to email or speak to someone to attempt prove the need for this.

As for me, I'm ready, I've gone into my phones "Access Point Names" with in "Mobile Networks"and toggled the "APN Type" and "APN Roaming Protocol" to dual stack (IPv4/IPv6) in eagerness for an IPv6 addresses to be handed down.

Thank you

Tags (3)
Occasional Contributor

Seriously Holly, your network guys have apparently been working on it for the best part of a decade. If they are truly working on it, then there will be a project plan, and an estimated delivery time to trial it, and then put it into service.

Could you please check with the Networks guys, and let us know the timeframes thanks?

See http://stats.labs.apnic.net/ipv6/AU?c=AU&x=1&v=1&p=1&r=1&w=5&r=0

OptusNet AS7474 languishing far down the list. Foxtel, Telstra, Internode all manage to deploy IPv6, Foxtel has managed to get over 70% of their customers enabled.

Thanks.

New Contributor Crashing_Bore
New Contributor

I am also asking for a +1 - we already have the infrastructure: why can we not get access to this increasingly important internet infrastructure?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors