cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor sndguru
Occasional Contributor

Re: IPv6 at Optus

Howdy everyone, haven’t heard anything for 11 days so I’ve just rang your help desk, and asked about IPv6's arrival, and he straight out said it is on by default.  This conversation went on for a bit me explaining that my device isn't getting an address and that the APN settings aren't dual-stack by defaulted - I had to change them.  Where he then suggests my device isn't compatible, and people with iPhone's and Samsung's it will be working for...ummm what?  He asked who manufactures the Nexus 6P - I'm like its Google! - oh yes you need to talk to Google.  This got me a little off my thoughts, as it was the last thing I figured I'd need to check, even though I explained that my phone does accept IPv6 by wifi, but he assured me it must be a cellular issue.  Well a quick Google shows a Nexus user having troubles because it has a IPv6 address and wanted to disable it https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/4kwb90/how_do_i_disable_ipv6_on_my_nexus_6p/ so this train of thought is obscure!  Might phone again tomorrow and see if I get someone different and isn’t so crazy.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I'm just configuring my second NBN providers IPv6 details (the first was a bust, one /64 range, what am I meant to do with that) and I'm just wondering if I'll be able to use my mobile to use this anytime soon?  As my Nexus devices seems to still be missing it's IPv6 address.  Please advise if any steps (at all, even small ones) torwards the goal have been made?  Thanks

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Optus Staff, can we please have an update on IPv6 roll out, as Telstra plans are getting more reasonable of recent and if they do include IPv6 it might be enough to push me back over.  Thank you.

New Contributor Zadok
New Contributor

I'll certainly switch to whichver mobile service starts providing IPv6 first. Being able to tether and test connectivity to our network services over IPv4 and IPv6 using tethering is a huge plus. It does look like that may be Telstra at this point?

I wonder what the hold up is? I assume there is little financial incentive for Optus to invest in the work required to support it? How do we generate customer demand for somethig so obscure? Smiley Very Happy 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor wom-bat
Occasional Contributor

so when are we going to see IPv6 supported on OPTUS networks?  This thread has been open for several years now; and still no action -- or even a timeline -- from OPTUS.

New Contributor Zadok
New Contributor

By "several years" I assume you mean "approximately one year". Smiley Very Happy  But anyway, Apparently Telstra offer it now on NBN. 

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/hw_feature_242

New Contributor shiftyphil
New Contributor

So as we approach the 20 year anniversary of the first IPv6 RFCs, is Optus any closer to coming to grips with it?

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2460.txt - Internet Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification - December 1998

EDIT: Actually, should have looked closer.. that wasn't the first. First version was actually rfc 1883 in 1995. So 23 years ago now...

Occasional Contributor

Mobile networks, which have a huge and rapidly increasing number of clients, cannot continue to hide behind layers of NAT. Apple measurements show that for cellular networks, 44% of all connections globally are made from an IPv6-enabled network; in the US that number is almost double. In other words: half of all mobile devices are IPv6 enabled and if you are in the US, there’s almost a 90% chance that your phone has IPv6

SOURCE:https://blog.apnic.net/2018/12/20/ipv6-misconceptions-its-fake-news/

Well I'm certain my mobile on Optus is not in that 44%, but I'm certain we're well into the planning stages, is that right @Hollie & @Optus ?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor pbbear
Occasional Contributor

After too long, I'm switching to another NBN provider that does provide native IPv6.

Clearly Optus is never going to get its act together regarding IPv6, and will be operating a second-rate, increasingly isolated service until it sees the light.

If it doesn't include native IPv6 connectivity, its not actually an Internet service this century, so I'm moving to a network that does.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

If you can tell me any other NBN provider that does, without going to the lengths of the big T then sign me up.

But I've only found providers that give a /64 for a service.  So clearly those ISP's don't even know how to depoly IPv6 either (you can't do anything with a /64 besides the ISP to router subnet!)

I am blown away with how much IPv6 traffic my HE.net tunnel does.  Below is my home service, the RX green is my PPPOE traffic which remember includes my Red IPv6 traffic.  So nearly 100% of my traffic is IPv6.

ipv6 traffic - 2.PNG

I do admit, this is mostly youtube.com traffic but still, it's clear indication that IPv6 is well used on the internet now.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors