Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor spd1275
Occasional Contributor

IPad data excess use

I got my Apple IPad thru Optus and it came with 10gb free. The salesman suggested I upgrade. I explained I had Telstra until October and would simply use the home wifi until the Telstra contract expired. He said no problem. Even tho my IPad setting say Telstra, apparently the iPad is set to use only Optus, and I continue to be stuck paying excess useage fees.

and apparently there is no way to change the iPad to use the Telstra wifi. I'm not a techie. I'm a retired pension who can I'll afford the excess charges. I've attempted to contact Optus via webmail, email and telephone and never get an answer.

does anyone know how to make my iPad utilize the Telstra service I already have and pay for until contract expiration in October? I feel cheated and deceived by Optus. They just don't seem to care. I'm beginning to think I've made a huge mistake, and it's the Optus contract I need to cancel.

you help is appreciated.

spd1275 at gmail.com

thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Contributor mrklun
Contributor

Re: IPad data excess use

It seems that your new iPad is not connected to your home WiFi network and using mobile data instead.

Go into Settings>WiFi>Choose a Network and connect to your WiFi. 

You will need to know the name (SSID) and Passworrd to connect to it though,

which in most cases is found on a sticker below or side of the modem itself.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

To ensure Optus data is not used just take out the SIM card from your iPad.

Next as @mrklun says, you just need to set your iPad to use your home wifi. You should be able to see it in the settings. When you pick your wifi you just need to enter the password (it was set on your modem)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor spd1275
Occasional Contributor

Peter,

I appreciate your response. The first thing I did was to make the wifi settings pickup my home system. Thought all was ok until I discovered it was still using Optus wifi system. That led me to believe it was set by factory default to continue being a on Optus  wifi and I was perplexed.I looked up solutions that said to change the Sim.

Settyings changes should have solved it but didn't. Haven't had luck with Optus personally however we WILL solve it.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You may be confusing the term wifi. 

Usually you have a SIM that is locked to a provider (in this case Optus). The phone will generally use this.

You can optionally connect the iPad to your home wifi. This just uses your Optus internet plan which has much more data allowed than any SIM plan. Taking the SIM out means you don't have to get the settings right (you know if any data is being transmitted it must be over your home wifi - and you won't get mobile data fees.)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors