Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor CANRITH
Occasional Contributor

INTERNET DROPOUTS

Does anyone else have trouble with internet dropouts? I live in Greensborough vic, and this happens everyday at least twice a day.

Norm

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

Re: INTERNET DROPOUTS

I presume you are talking about ADSL.

Could be the exchange. Talk to a neighbour.

How much do you download?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Jm-jazzy
New Contributor

All the time. Matraville NSW

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply, yes it is ADSL. I don't know anyone in the area with ADSL so it's difficult to say.

My downloads I think are very low, I ony use it for email, google and a little gaming.

I noticed that some clown flattened the box with all the wires and spiders in it just up the road, I imagine that wouldn'd help much.

Is there any way these problems can be fixed or is it antiquated system we're stuck with?

Norm

0 Kudos
Contributor Astrayan
Contributor

Oh, that's interesting. Some clown vandalized the telecom post at the end of my driveway, and this broke a wire internally. The techo looked at it, and put a box around it. All this did was entomb a broken wire. This caused a line which would go on the blink on winter nights, due to the cable contracting. This was only found because a motivated crew turned up and was willing to dig holes all over the place.

Recently I bumped into a techo who was replacing all the junctions in the box at the end of the road. Telstra had used a sealing chemical which was corroding all the junctions.

Mobile has been getting very cheap in the last few months. These plans have Netflix/Stan and a free tablet or modem, and no exit fees. The E5186 modem with the ethernet ports is interesting. You can buy the cheaper E5573 (Big W, Optus) for local testing. The Cat6 aggregating modems will work on the Optus 2300Mhz band, that might have less people on it.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/Plans?SID=con:omb:subnav:mbb:post:plans#Plan...

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-wireless-broadband

The large 100GB month to month plan has Netflix etc.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/mobile-broadband/data-sim-card?contractLength=1

Just make sure mobile is OK in your area, before signing up for an expensive modem or tablet.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @CANRITH, this is something Tech Support will need to look at. They'll run a line test and organise a tech to go out there if they suspect damage to the network as you have described. Get hold of them here →  http://yesopt.us/chat2us or on 131344 24/7. 

Occasional Contributor

I know what you mean, I had a similar situation outside my house awhile ago. Every time they disturb the spiders in the hole in the ground I go out for a nosey, us old guys can be a pain. I got the same story about the amazing product that was to end all of the problems, yeah famous last words. This mess up must have cost a hell of a lot of money,

Thanks for your help and comments, as the comercial said, I feel better now.

Norm

0 Kudos
New Contributor FedUpFred
New Contributor

I really am fed up.  For months I have been calling and being reset and having technicians call in to assess my connection and yet nothing improves. My cable broadband drops out a half dozen times a day. I do remote online English tutoring and the company I work for has a policy that if there is an interruprtion in exxcess of 5 mins or more than one break per 50 minute session then that session is free for the student. I am averaging about one in three for unpaid sessions now. It simply is no longer viable for me to remain with Optus as I am haemorrhaging income because of such astonishingly low quality service. I keep getting told there must be an issue with my computer and I keep arguing back that my tablet, small laptop and phone also drop off at the same time so it cannot possibly be a computer problem. I am weary of reporting this problem over and over and going through the reset motions over and over and explaining to technicians over and over and nothing improving. My connection has dropped out twice just in the time I have typed this. It really is appalling. I have lost hundreds of dollars in unpaid work and so from hereon in I will not be paying you another cent.

0 Kudos