cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor SoloMeter
Occasional Contributor

IMAP set up for multiple Mac Computers

I have read how to setup optus mail with outlook  BUT it does not describe how to set up using IMAP, as I dont want a stand alone laptop collecting my mail or have it spread across various laptops, phones etc.

I was able to set up a mirror of my optus webmail account BUT I can receive and sync mail across various devices but it will not let me send mail from any device. I keep getting connection to server failed.

Does Optusmail support IMAP and if so where are decent instructions for the setup. It seems like it should work, but alas its a BIG fail.... why ?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/using-an-email-application-with-optusnet-email?requestTy...

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: IMAP set up for multiple Mac Computers

I have asked the same question several times and apparently they don't support imap.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor SoloMeter
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for the bad news - LOL

So Basically you need to use your Webmail account to send emails, which is a pain..... or have one POP account to send mail from and then uncheck the auto delete from server so you can see your webmail inbox from various IMAP set up devices....

What a bad compromise Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yep that's about it. You can receive mail to as many devices as you like however there is no option to sync folders or sent items.

0 Kudos
New Contributor ghr
New Contributor

Optus does support IMAP on Macs. It has since 1995 at least.

The trick is to put in an INCORRECT password when adding a new email account. Then a new screen will appear with options to select POP or IMAP. Choose IMAP, set your email address and your password correctly, and set the outgoing mail server to smtp.optusnet.com.au.

New Contributor Verosher
New Contributor

Awesome! Thanks so much. Spent ages trying to figure how to do this!!!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors