cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Millsie43
Occasional Contributor

I have just purchased an unused Optus fetch box online, new but not activated.

I have just purchased an unused Optus mighty fetch box online, new but not activated, to use with an existing Fetch box that I own and use for a Fetch subscription. Will tbe Optus Fetch be locked to Optus or can I use it to complement my existing Fetch subscription?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: I have just purchased an unused Optus fetch box online, new but not activated.

All Optus Fetch boxes remain the property of Optus, you "rent" them from Optus.

Optus will not activate it for you, it will only activate against the account it was supplied for.

Same as this post: https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/TV-Entertainment/How-to-activate-a-second-hand-fetch/td-p/568271

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have just purchased an unused Optus fetch box online, new but not activated.

Just to add that all boxes by different RSPs (and Fetch themselves) don't work fully with each other (for some annoying reason). So the only Fetch unit that works with an Optus Fetch unit will be one supplied by Optus. Sorry.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks peterdownload for your speedy response and answering part of my question. The other part of my question is, can I activate and use the Optus Fetch box without an Optus subscription locked?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Paddylee.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again peterdownload, just read Paddylee's response to the 2nd part of my question, so you have now fully answered my queastions.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry it was not the answer you were hoping for. Wasn't sure whether your new box still booted to the FTA level or was stuck bricked at the activation stage. Any chance you can return it?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Possibly peterdownload, I bought it on eBay. I actually wanted it to get the Sports channel on Optus on a different TV, but I'll call in at Optus shop to check out if I can use it with existing Fetch subscription and adding Optus Sport or whether I have to 'start again' with a separate account. Thanks for the info, you have both been a great help.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry. In case it wasn't clear Optus will just ask you to hand the box back to them (its their box and you've essentially bought stolen goods - the person on eBay had no right to sell it to you, so I'd make a claim via eBay to get a refund.)

If you want to have another Fetch box which can use an existing subscription then the only way you can do this is rent an Optus Fetch box directly from Optus. Cheapest way to do this would be to grab a Fetch mini. The multi room means it can play FTA recordings from the main Fetch unit and any Fetch subscriptions / Free packs apply to both boxes. Note the $5 only applies to the first unit so not sure if that means first Fetch or first Mini Fetch. Optus might charge more than $5 so you'd need to find out.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Thanks again peterdownload, I get you loud and clear now. I'll visit Optus shop this afternoon to clear this up and contact eBay if necessary. Keith Mills

0 Kudos
Top Contributors