Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I can't use the fourth LAN/WAN port on my Optus Huawei B525s-65a Wireless router

I have the Optus provided Huawei B525s-65a router setup to use 4G Wireless. It has 4 LAN ports on the back with the fourth labeled as "LAN4/WAN". The manual describes it as "Working as a LAN port when connected to a computer, switch, or other LAN device."

However if I plug ANY device into the 4th port, the wireless disconnects from the internet and tries to use the device connected into port 4.

I have noticed my Web UI on the router does NOT provide me the "WAN" or "Ethernet" options in the Settings menu.

Is there ANY way to use the 4th LAN port as a LAN port without disconnecting the wireless??

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: I can't use the fourth LAN/WAN port on my Optus Huawei B525s-65a Wireless router

Hi - I can't see any menu option as well. Maybe a hidden menu, but it looks like the firmware has the modem locked to a single setting, 4G LTE WAN or Ethernet WAN in an either/or arrangement. You have verified that an Ethernet connection in L4, turns OFF the 4G LTE WAN. Only workaround I can think of is to connect a low cost unmanaged or smart switch to any of the other LAN ports to give you more ports. 

Optus B525s-65a LAN4.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: I can't use the fourth LAN/WAN port on my Optus Huawei B525s-65a Wireless router

Long shot as I am looking at the B818 menu, have a look at the following:

"Advanced->Security->DMZ Setting" menu check it's off.

"Advanced->Router->Bridge Mode" menu check it's off.

After that I can't see anything in the B818 menu that is obvious.

The only non obvious setting is "Network Settings->Ethernet->Ethernet Settings" menu has a "Connection Mode" that has a bunch of settings that could be the issue, but exactly what the difference between "Auto" and "LAN Only" I have no idea. I suggest playing around with these if you can't find a solution to see if this helps.

You could also have a search on https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ to see if anyone else has had the same issue and if there is a solution.

Good Luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

THanks,

@Mkrtich - Yes, I already have it connected to an 8-port switch and my previous FritzBox (with disabled wifi and modem - I use it for my VOIP telephony for connecting standard handsets)... but still running out of ports. Doesn't help that 4+8+4 = 11 usable (1+7+3).

@AndrewC1  - thanks for checking. Yes DMZ is off.  I don't have (or don't have access to)  any Router menu option, nor Network Settings -> Ethernet.

Though the "Connection Mode" Auto vs LAN Only sounds like the option that I need. I'm guessing/assuming it may refer to the Auto attempt to connect to WAN when port is plugged in, versus using it for LAN only! If only I could figure out how to get access to that option!?

Yes, I've searched whirlpool also - I've only seen minor reference to the B818 which as you point out, has similar menu, however my one is locked to Optus minimised settings:-(.

Might need to invest in a 16 port switch instead! 😉

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@AKasper @ checked LTE H Monitor, but I could not see any options that affect the ethernet side of things as it's been designed to look at the radio link and change it (see https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-Telnet-into-either-the-B525-or-B818-that-O... for info / links on it).

Looks like the switch is the way to go. I use a 5 port switch with the B818 as it only has 2 ports and I need 3.

0 Kudos