Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Huawei E5186

Hi everyone

I have the Huawei E5186 modem for my Home Wireless Broadband service (and I also use it for a MBB Plus 140GB SIM as well).

Is there a way to have the router keep a track of data usage (aside from flashing the device with the stock Huawei firmware)?  I would consider this an important feature given that mobile data plans are not unlimited and have a quota, plus the fact that Optus can take over 4 hours to catch up to live data usage.  You can rack up a lot of excess data in 4 hours.

I've noticed my E5186 is also struggling to provide a reliable wifi.  Infact if you put more than 3 devices onto it, it will crash and reboot itself every hour or 2!  I suspect the device may be faulty...this is the second one 😞

10 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Huawei E5186

unfortunately theres non, but if youre using Windows 10, just go to network and internet settings theres Wifi Usage Monitoring tool there.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes it is what I feared then.  I would certainly be angling for some form of data usage to be viewable on the device as it would cover all devices connected to it and not just say my laptop.

Given the plans that can be used on the device do have data limits and the $10 per 1GB can be quite pricy when you do say 5 or 10 gig in the 4 hour window....

I would've thought that above said, Optus would have it in their firmware builds.  A lot of other carriers using this router have it, along with things like DHCP reservations, displaying DHCP leases among other things.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @AdamKuk, we've replied back to your PM but I thought I'd offer my 2 cents in regards to this topic. At this time there's no sort of bandwidth utilization measuring tool built into the firmware of the device. I do understand the sentiment and given that it's your primary means to access the web, a data monitoring tool would be beneficial.

We are actually actively working on bringing data usage alerts much closer to real time. I think you'll definitely notice a change within the coming months. At this stage your best bet would be a third party network monitoring tool or as what @markdennis advised a simple WiFi usage monitoring tool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

G'day Dan

I reckon having something built into the modem's software/firmware would be ideal, anyone who is semi tech savvy or keen to keep a careful eye on data usage (e.g. parents with teenage kids spending all night on YouTube) would be looking for this feature even from a fairly basic Internet modem/router.  There's also those (myself included) who are on a tight budget and therefore cannot afford to spend much over the base plan cost.

I know for the home wireless broadband service the usage is updated almost once per hour which is pretty good, but nothing beats being able to watch usage in real time and also see things like is it uploading (e.g. a virus/malware risk) or lots of downloading (e.g. someone's hacked the wifi, kids running amuck, some device on the wifi has lost its marbles) so still important to have that tech backup to prove or deny an excess usage theory!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

uhm thats not correct there is a statistics page which you can set a date to reset it to 0, not sure if its on the optus firmware though

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That's correct it would not be via the Optus firmware.  You would have flashed the modem with another carrier's firmware which does offer the stats.

There may be a reason why Optus chose not to include this in their firmware builds with Huawei; regardless that's between Optus and Huawei, but for those who do not wish to flash their modem as there is a risk involved with that....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

a little bird told me there is a replacement for the 5186 coming 🙂

I suspect its the B618-65d. 😉

Highlighted
Blog Author

@AdamKuk, we're happy to feed that back through to our product team. It makes sense that there are customers out there that would like to see usage stats in real time and having that built into the firmware of the device is definitely a way to achieve that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hmmm interesting that the router will be phased out with a newer model. I noticed too with the e5186s-61a that when using a normal MBB SIM (not the HWB SIM) the fastest speed I have ever seen out of it is around 50Mbits down and 5Mbits up.  When compared to my Samsung Galaxy S8+ it is rather slow, especially in the upload side of things.

Cheers

Adam

0 Kudos