Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
TheGMac316
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Huawei B818 - 263 slow speeds

I got this today it was going all well until a few hours ago where now im only getting these speeds
Screenshot (305).png

I tried logging into to mobile broadband but its not accepting the password on the bottom of the modem.
Anyone know how to fix this issue? Optus customer support wasn't much help

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Huawei B818 - 263 slow speeds

Hi @TheGMac316 it's not great to hear that you're experiencing issues with your Wireless Broadband Service.

We recommend keeping across our Network Status page which provides up-to-date faults and works that may be impacting your service. You can also register for updates by clicking on the respective mobile tower, and then selecting “Log a fault”.

We also have a range of troubleshooting steps that may help with mobile faults.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. Our team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@TheGMac316There could be a number of reasons for the slowdown, so it may take a while to figure out the issue and hopefully what the appropriate solution is.

The first thing to do is as @Jono_YC posted check the Optus outange page, but be aware that it may not show issues where there are only a few people affected or the issue is with one mobile band until it has been verified by Optus techs.

I suggest downloading a program like LTE H-Monitor on a PC that allows you to the mobile bands the B818 uses for downloadign and uploading. It's availabel on the https://www.ltehmonitor.com/en/ page. The screen you want is the radio configuration (search on the page for "Radio configuration :").

I suggest using just enabling just B1 for upload and download to see if it helps. If it does not try just B3 for both. To see if it is B40 causing the issue enable just B40 for upload and download and see if the speed sucks.

If B1 or B3 don't help change the radio back to automatic and write down the bands enabled and disable one at a time and see if you can find the bad band.

Write down what works.

If you do get a decent speed then in a few days change the settings back to automatic and see if Optus have fixed the tower.

If you cannot get a decent download speed then the modem could be playing up, by decent I mean say 10 to 15Mbps in the tests (B40 can go up to 80+Mbps), then contact Optus and see if you can take the modem into a store to get it checked out as you do not want to be without a modem.

Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Having similar problems with same Router and I use the H-Monitor to change frequencies but have already tried every band available in my area. Highest download tonight is 5Mbps down and 1.4 up which is pretty much useless as my mobile phone is faster. I also have dual MIMO external 12Db directional antennas but only 2 towers within 2KM and and one has stopped responding to all frequencies ?? The B818 keeps wanting to connect on frequency 28 which give me a SINR of -5

Optus was upgrading towers 2 weeks ago then had a fault which is now apparently fixed from text but their status page says "There's an issue with one of our mobile towers in this area". So why the fixed text ??

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Posty4131Why - because some equipment in "a" tower "near" you has been fixed/upgraded. "a" and "near" could mean any tower that Optus's not so accurate coverage map says can get a signal to you. Optus "upgrading a tower" could mean anything between fixing a problem to installing 5G and unless you speak with a support person who looks up the reason you will be none the wiser. Been there done that with both of these.....

Where I am there are 4 towers that I could get messages for. The coverage map page used to show exactly which one or more were having a problem, but in the middle of last year Optus updated the page to remove this feature as it would make it easier for users to understand the page or some nonsense marketing spin. So now the only way to find out what tower is faulty is to ask Optus and if you get a support person who knows how to look up what is going on you will get an answer, but more than not you will get "that there is an issue in your area with a tower and wait for it to be fixed".

The text is sent so that Optus can say that they are updating and keeping end users up to date on issues they are having.....right.......

Now to your actual issue:

1) Try removing the external 12db antenna and see if this helps. If it does then the antenna signal is overwhelming the B818 receivers. I had 3db external antenna's that caused issues if the closest tower was working on a AC800S, but when it was faulty they helped connecting to other towers.

2) On your phone install a program like "AUS Phone Towers" and see which tower is the closest. If this does not help try other apps on your phone so that you can find the tower and what band it is using.

3) On the optus myapp ask them which tower is faulty as you would like to position the modem to connect

4) Have a read of the following post to see if it can help:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-Telnet-into-either-the-B525-or-B818-that-O...

I am not aware of being able to lock the modem into a specific tower.

If all else fails head on over to https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ and see if you can find anything that helps.

0 Kudos
Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks AndS, I only have the choice of 2 towers nearby which I obtained from the ACMA website data, NOT the Optus network status page (which shows no towers at all ??)
The 11Db Externals are directional so can only really point toward the highest or closest signal and both towers are higher than my location or obstacle. Without externals my signal definitely drops, from usually -68 RSRP down to about -98 RSRP which falls in the fair to poor range so externals definitely work better. The only connectable tower is 1.4km away. I also have every phone tower app installed most show false positives or non LTE capable.
I have checked the RFNSA site for nearby towers also and their approved bands such as 1,3,23 etc. and band 3 1800Mhz seems to hold the best stats for RSRQ and SINR for my location. Band 1 previously was very strong now its worse. I was able to get 100+ Mbps on Band 1 now it barely gets over 18
The B818 and B525 frequency can be forced using the LTEHMonitor software app for windows as per your link. Sometimes it wants to connect to band 2300 and the SINR drops to about 5 which is less than Good/Fair. Over 10 would be better and previous had consistently. I upgraded from the B525 to get the extra multi channel throughput.

I pretty much use the LTE app every day and signal strength noise and quality have been all over the place during the upgrades and faults. the RFNSA site shows that 5G is future tech along with 2300 and 2600 Mhz on the two nearest towers. Closest is the Griffith University 933Metres away but can no longer connect to that site for some reason on any band and it clearly shows Band 1 and 3 on the FRNSA website. https://www.rfnsa.com.au/4131002

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/blog/guide-to-mobile-networks/4g-lte-signal-strength-reference-guid...

The only way I can control towers is to point directional antennas at that tower and the dual MIMO antennas have roughly a 45 degrees angle tolerance. Picture below..
https://onwireless.com.au/dual-11dbi-all-band-3g-dc-4g-lte-mimo-antenna.html

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Posty4131Looks like you have done everything and have proper antena's.

Only other potential option is to grab some cheap data sims from Woolies or Coles (check their online catalog for specials) until Optus towers are fixed. Unfortunately Optus will not re-reimburse you for the cost of the sims (been there done that last year when I was getting 10 to 100k yes K for a few weeks and while this was occuring I used a Belong data sim).

Good luck.

0 Kudos
TheGMac316
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all however despite trying what people have suggested here I am still having these ridiculous speed issues.
I have tried reaching out to their technical support as suggested but with no reply.  

0 Kudos
George_YC

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your B818 device @TheGMac316.

If you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Posty4131
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Looks like the towers in the area are being upgraded because the Optus status page once again says they are working on towers in my area... since March 2021... its now Mid May. Maybe 5G is coming ? Anyway the B818 keeps selecting stupid high Mhz bands to connect and getting rotton speeds. After downloading the 3rd LTE bandwidth adjuster tool called LTEInspecteur its really easy to use, I can de-select the 2300 Mhz etc leaving just Band 3 and Band 28 which are the only bands on the tower I have aimed my External Antennas at and hey presto, over 75Mbps down and 37 up instead of 7 down and 28 up on stupid auto selected bandwidths.

Use Google to Translate the page and here is the link for those having trouble.
https://www.lte-anbieter.info/lte-forum/threads/lteinspector-huawei-4g-router-%C3%9Cberwachungssoftw...

I have also tried LTEWatch 1.1 which is pretty basic and LTEHMonitor (which needs an Internet connection to work ?) Although a lot more features, if you select the wrong band, you cant start the program again and have to reboot the B818 to get back in ??

Anyway, 3 months upgrading and fixing towers lets hope it will be finished in 2021
0 Kudos
Top Contributors