Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Huawei B818-263 slow performance

hi

i'm having issues with the Huawei B818-263.

using wifi i get between 2-4mbps download and slightly better upload.

i've tried changing settings to 4G only, 4G 2300mhz, 4G no 2300mhz but still have issues.

4G 2300mhz would not work at all.

using the supplied lan cable plugged directly to my PC i get 35-40mbps.
this seems to proves it is not an issue between the tower and the modem, but rather an issue between the modem and devices.

any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Huawei B818-263 slow performance

@wmg 

"i've tried changing settings to 4G only, 4G 2300mhz, 4G no 2300mhz but still have issues.

4G 2300mhz would not work at all."

These settings are 4G network and have nothing to do with WiFi. Re 4G 2300Mhz the tower may not support that frequency. Go to RFNSA enter your postcode and use the filters on the left to narrow the results to Optus 4G and 4G+.

Re the Wifi devices how afar away from the modem are they? What Wifi standard do they support?

I am not an Optus employee. If a reply helps please give a Kudos and when an issue is solved please mark as solved.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

On your PC ()or mobile) grab an app that lets you know how many other wifi devices there are and what their signal strength is.

Also are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? 5Ghz does not travel through brick/concrete very well. 2.4Ghz may be used by allot of devices and you may need to change channels.

Have you made sure you have the latest Windows wireless driver installed? If not check. If the wireless device is a USB device check if it's plugged into a USB 1.x or a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.x connection as they are not created equal.

I suggest lookup at whirlpool for people who have has similar issues and what they have done to fix it.

You can also try changing the wifi settings in the B818 to see if that helps or change the PC wifi settings and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tigers1719 

wifi standard is 802.11ac
the wifi device is less than 40cm from the modem and the modem is near the window with fairly good line of sight to the tower which is approx 500-600m up the hill.

i've had trouble logging in to the router - it seems to stop recognising passwords after a while so I've closed browsers and reset the modem a few times. the performance is a bit better at this time of night. 22:30-23:00.  wifi around 20-30mbps and lan about 40-50mbps. doesn't explain what i was experiencing this afternoon but i'll keep an eye on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@AndrewC1 

modem/router is configured with '5ghz preferred'

during my testing the laptop is connected via lan or 5ghz  (wifi <40cm away)

huawei phone via 2.4ghz (<40cm away)  - I assume the phone has dictated 2.4ghz??

kids ipads and iphones are connected via 5ghz (kid_1 is 2 meters away through plaster wall, kid_2 is 5 meters away through second plaster wall.  

none are connected via USB

0 Kudos