Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
Occasional Contributor BrettSh
Occasional Contributor

Huawei B525 Downloads Fine, But Uploads Insanely Slow

We are using a Huawei B525 wireless modem and while download speeds are acceptable (30 MB/s), uploads are currently so slow (0.10 MB/s) that Internet is hard to use I've switched to using my phone instead. Any suggestions? Details as follows.

We are in Hawthone East and the modem shows 5 Bars so, signal seems fine and latency is currently about 30mS. My phone is also on Optus and if I run a speed test on that, I get about 30 Mb/s uploads so, it seems like the Optus network is fine.

Anything I can try to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Huawei B525 Downloads Fine, But Uploads Insanely Slow

Still having this problem. Uploads thru Huawei 0.15 MB/s. Whereas, if I switch to my phone (also on Optus) I get 17.1 MB/s uploads. This is making Internet use very difficult ๐Ÿ˜ž

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Just tried changing APN from ltebroadband to yesinternet and authentication from CHAP to PAP.

Now getting 9.92 Mbps download and 8.4 Mbps upload (was getting only 0.1 Mbps upload). So, not fast, but usable.

However, if I run the same speed test on my phone, I currently get about 20 Mbps down and up.

Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

And... today I'm getting 0.14 Mbps uploads ๐Ÿ˜ž

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

So here goes...in as easy as i can make it.

Due to the nature of the technology used for one of the 4g Bands Optus uses it allows download speeds at a much higher speed then uploads.

Its the nature of this particular 4g technology called TDD.

Other 4g bands use FDD, and this gives somewhat equal down to up depending on signal.

If using Band 40 - 2300Mhz (TDD) and your signal strength/quality is not great - it greatly dimishes your upload speed even more.

From memory in the modem config you can set it to exclude B40 - 2300Mhz and this should fix your issue e.g. move you to the other 4g bands.

I also suggest once you have done the above change, try other locations around where you live and see if that improves the speed up/down e.g. try in a window sill etc.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Occasional Contributor

Paddylee... you're my hero ๐Ÿ™‚

Upload speeds have gone from 0.15 Mbps to 25 Mbps. That is... not too shabby ๐Ÿ™‚

Plus as an added bonus, we are currently getting 29 Mbps downloads.

So Paddylee, thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers

Brett Sh