Searching...

How to escape

[ Edited ]
fipop

Just signed up to optus adsl2+, got my modem yesterday and I want out immediately. I was obviously wrong to assume that one of the country's biggest Internet providers would be able to provide a half decent network in one of the country's biggest cities. One search of this forum and I would've realised that this is a problem that stretches back at least four years in my area (New Farm). It won't even load up a bloody Google search. I just did a speed test and got 89kbps,which is actually good considering it struggles to even connect most of the time. They've just dumped this useless modem into my house and left me to deal with the mess. In the two weeks that I've been waiting for the modem to turn up, I've been using my laptop tethered to my optus 4G and that's about 20x faster. I've reverted back to using my phone and I want to cancel my subscription immediately. Please advise me as to how, and don't tell me to call your phone line cos I've spent the past two days on the phone to you being given useless advice. 

Re: How to escape

petergdownload

Unfortunately the NBN looks to be about 12 months away for you (FTTC)

Also unfortunately there's no set minimum on ADSL performance so Telcos can 

That said Optus should release you if its consistently slow and not connecting. 

Live Chat is your best bet but you want to try get to the retentions department.

As an alternative you could request to be transfered to Optus Mobile Broadband (Modem) which should tide you over till the NBN arrives. Its generally fast and data allowances are ok at the moment.

Peter Gillespie

fipop

Hi Peter, 

Thank you so much for your very kind, thoughtful reply. Unfortunately I can't get a mobile modem cos they all come with 24 month contracts and I'm only here for a year. I work from home and I have to download/upload big enough files, so it's a total nightmare, having to travel to the library to use their Internet. I'm from Europe and am just totally gobsmacked by how bad this is!

Will try the live chat again! 

Paddylee
Depends where you are in New Farm as it has HFC already in places (not sure if its Optus HFC) but thats going live for NBN via HFC mid 2019. The area is pretty old in parts, the copper would be pretty bad in some places (has flooded there in the past). I would think its bad copper before anything else, and with Telstra/NBN taking ownership of that side its an uphill battle. Without seeing the ADSL modem stats its very hard to determine the issue. Your Telephone exchange is 417 Bowen Terrace from memory (having lived in Fortitude Valley previously)
Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

That is a pickle. Some great local info there @Paddylee

You could still do the 24 month contract? Just take it with you when you leave? 

Alternatively you could get a Optus Phone & SIM Plan. Very generous data. For Example Grab a Google Pixel XL for $106 a month and get 200Gb data. You could easily sell the phone for $1000 on day one (use the data in your current plan) - if Optus then the amounts combine. $1500 remains over 24 months making it $60 per month for a 200Gb+ plan? (Perhaps a iPhone XS 256Gb instead - easy sell for $1400 and your plan reduces to around $50 a month)

But first up is the ADSL issue. If the speeds are strongly subpar then optus should be fine with letting you end the contract. I'd focus on that first and just try make the request to finish (Retentions Department)

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
92 Kudos
78 Kudos
36 Kudos
33 Kudos
30 Kudos