Searching...

How to enable a standard public routable IP? (not NAT'ed in the 10.0.0.0/8 range)

BadgerBadger

Hello, 

I have just signed up for the 200GB 4G plus broadband deal with extras to test out the Optus offerings before I go all in. 

But the IP address assigned to my router is a NAT'ed private address in the 10.x.x.x/8 range (rfc1918). 

I am currently a Telstra customer and overcome this I just change my APN to "telstra.extranet" get a non-NAT'ed public IP. 

Does anyone know what the Optus APN to use to get a public routable IP is? or what the process is to enable public IPs (dynamic or static)? 

I did find an artical on the Optus site that says to get a static IP I need to call the support number 
https://optus.com/shop/support/answer/how-to-activate-a-static-ip-address
But so far my experance dealing with Optus support, I am going to waste hours on the phone and make no progress.

Re: How to enable a standard public routable IP? (not NAT'ed in the 10.0.0.0/8 range)

Paddylee

The last update was that you can get a static ip only if:

Business customer with ABN

Only available on Mobile Broadband Plans

I think its $5 or $10 extra a month. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Re: How to enable a standard public routable IP? (not NAT'ed in the 10.0.0.0/8 range)

Aaron-TruBluIT

I'm currently using 3 4G routers with Optus, 1 business and 2 home plans. 

I've got static IP on 2 of them so it does look like you can attach one to a home plan as well.

The extra cost is $5 per month for the static IP. 

Essentially what you getting is CGN (Carrier Grade NAT).

Once they apply the static IP to your account you'll need to change your APN to yesbusinessip

BadgerBadger

OK I have been in the support chat now for a few hours with a "Technical" support agent trying to get public IP for my connection.

He says he is "technical" but if you don't know what DHCP is then you should not be working in network support.

To summerize the chat, he did not seem to know where IP addresses come from and kept trying to get me to contact the manufacturer of the modem. 

Paddylee

Standard tech support dont deal with this side - more of a sales one.

Optus Business Centres do activate static ips for their cusotmers, never heard of tech support knowing anything about the addon to your account that allows it.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

Aaron-TruBluIT

Don't confuse them with things that are out side of their scope.

They might be technical but they'll never deal with dhcp for the optus network, that's a little advice their pay grade. 

Just ask them for a static ip address, that's it. 

All the addresses in the Internet are public is just the degree and type of NAT that's applied that differs. 

I did online chat with first level tech support and had both my static ips applied, one to a consumer account and the other a commercial account. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers

Highlighted

BadgerBadger

So they tell me I can not get a static IP as I am not a business customer. 

I am also finding I can not VPN to other networks due to both networks being in the private 10.0.0.0/8 range which is confussing the routing. 

I kinda feel like I only have half an internet connection.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
74 Kudos
52 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos