Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dbauer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How to bridge CM500V to another router CG3000

Hi,

I had a problem with my CG3000 device as one of the lan ports stopped working. Optus then supplied me with the hopelessly inadequate CM500V, no wifi, single lan port only. I can't believe anyone even makes this thing let alone being supplied. So now I can only connect a single device to the internet. Optus support advised to get a switch and connect this. So I got a switch and that won't run mulitple devices as I think that is because the CM500V will only ever manage a single ip address or something. So no good there. 

So now I'm hoping that in the absence of being able to get in touch with someone from optus support (due to massive wait times etc) that I can connect my CM500V to the internet, and then that to the CG3000 and at least get wifi and a couple of connections so that I can connect more than one device and get some wifi.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: How to bridge CM500V to another router CG3000

@dbauer wrote:

Optus support advised to get a switch and connect this. So I got a switch and that won't run mulitple devices as I think that is because the CM500V will only ever manage a single ip address or something.

Yes and No. The CM500V will indeed only get one public IP, but it will give out multiple local IP as it is also functioning as a router. There is no reason plugging a switch into one of its working LAN ports will not work.

0 Kudos
dbauer
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks, but it doesn't seem to be working, switch I'm trying is a d-link 8 port DGS-108. plugging the CM500V to it and then one connection my desktop pc works, but then plugging in anything else is not working at all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

regards,

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Sorry, my mistake, I got confused between the CM500V  and CG3000. My previous instructions should have been to plug the switch into one of the working ports of the CG3000.

The CM500V  is indeed just a modem and requires a router behind it in order to be used by multiple devices.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi - Not sure if you have an Unmanaged Switch or a semi managed one. If the former it will take its IP address off the CG modem's DHCP server when you connect its LAN port to a working CG3000 LAN port without any special programming.

If the later, you will need to log into the default IP address of the switch and turn off the switch's DHCP server and, allocate a fixed IP address from the CG3000 range and SAVE.

Assuming the CG 3000 has at least in LAN port that works. Log into the CG3000 and fix the static IP adress you gave the switch into the CG3000 static IP address table or area where this shown.

Log into the CG3000 and check the WAN port setting of the CG3000 and if any shown, disable the Coax WAN if there is a setting that allows you to specify what type of WAN you are going to use. You will be using an Ethernet LAN and not the DOCSIS 3 WAN - SAVE the change.

Reset the CG 3000 to ensure all settings you saved have taken.. Connect the WAN port of the CG 3000 to the LAN port of the CM500V. Restart your PC and connect it to the switch. I would expect you to have Internet access. Let us know how you go. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mkrtich wrote:

Hi - Not sure if you have an Unmanaged Switch or a semi managed one.

The D-Link 8 port DGS-108 is unmanaged. So  the rest of your post does not apply.

If the former it will take its IP address off the CG modem's DHCP server when you connect 

Unmanaged switches do not have IP addresses. They are effectively invisible to the devices they sit between.

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for pointing out the model number  - overlooked it when compiling my response. I am aware of an unmanaged switch's properties, in this case it's uplink IP address is one of the 8 IP addresses given to it by the host DHCP server in the CG3000, as it doesn't have its own DHCP server. 

So when you say the rest of my post is not applicable, I take it you mean the parts that relate to an managed or semi managed switch and the associated CG3000 settings that are not needed. Agreed.

It's a personal preference and not mandatory by any means, I like to set static IP address for a Switch Uplink and given uncertainty of what the OP has done with the WAN setting and cable connection of relevant ports, I think my suggestions in relation to them are still relevant and may assist if Internet connectivity has not been established. Appreciate your feedback. 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Mkrtich wrote:

I am aware of an unmanaged switch's properties, in this case it's uplink IP address is one of the 8 IP addresses given to it by the host DHCP server in the CG3000 

You previously stated "it will take its IP address off the CG modem's DHCP server", but the thing is, they do not make use of an IP addresses at all because they operate at the Ethernet level, which is below the IP level. 

So when you say the rest of my post is not applicable, I take it you mean the parts that relate to an managed or semi managed switch and the associated CG3000 settings that are not needed. 

Correct. 

Appreciate your feedback. 

You're welcome, as always. 

0 Kudos
Mkrtich
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for that. I am gaining  more knowledge about these matters through picking up little bits of information from forums. Good educational resource for learners such as myself.

I have only had practical experience with Managed Switches and recently acquired an Unmanaged Cisco 8 port PoE Switch that I use for two VoIP phones for experimentation purposes. It has a MAC address and I just assumed that belonged to the Uplink which would be allocated an IP address from the modem's DHCP server, just like the other devices on the switch when they connect. Taking that assumption further lead me to believe the MAC and possible IP address could the be programmed into the modem' Static IP address table. Good to know about the switching element for the Uplink being MAC driven rather than IP Address related. Cheers.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I wouldn't have expect an unmanaged switch to even have a MAC address (my tp-link switch does not appear to have one) because they are generally needed only if the device need to be interacted with, and they are supposed to be invisible to the network.

I'm hardly an expert in these matters, but that is my understanding.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors