cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor PJ53
Occasional Contributor

How to block spammers

Over the past 2 months,we have received an spam emails from 15 different email sources per day on our IMac and Ipad.  I have finally managed to individually block them on Mac mail by going to preferences, rules, then delete emails from these addresses.  I have also consistently reported spam in Optus mailbox, but these spam emails continue to appear on the Ipad Optusnet mail and Optus Webmail on the IMac.  

The ISP of the spammers is not readily identifiable - that is no optusnet, yahoo, gmail.

Have been in contact with Optus who suggest that I buy a spam filter, and send spam emails to abuse@optusnet.com.au  The latter will only consider action on spammers who are Optus customers, and so far had no effect.

I am not inclined to buy a spam filter and feel that Optus is not doing enough to deal with spam.  Two questions:

How do identify the ISP of the spammer within Optus Webmail so that you can report spam to that ISP?

Do you have any other suggestions for dealing with this spam coming into the Optus mailbox on our IPad and the Optus Webmail on our IMac?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to block spammers

My advice would be just to ignore it as it will eventually go away. Blocking determined spammers is not that simple as they often use different email addresses and send these junk emails from all different providers. Most good email programs have the ability to filter mail and even though it doesn't deter the spammers it does stop you from seeing it.

I don't have a webmail account with Optus however I do believe the webmail they use is rather basic and may not have the ability to view the full email headers. If you download your emails to a pc you should be able to see this information.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor PJ53
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Yelbarb - I wish I had your patience.

Optus, a multinational ISP, should be spending money to allow us to apply rules to block spam.  Current system of reporting spam or forwarding emails to abuse@optusnet.com.au has no effect whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor GNNBK
Occasional Contributor

I sympathise with you, as Optus doesn't seem to care about spam - its filters are rather ineffective by today's standards and my attempt to raise a similar complaint as yours was met with no useful result.

I stumbled upon a solution which uses Gmail to do your spam filtering, but enables you to keep your Optusnet address.

It is a little complicated to set up, but once done works a treat..... no more spam to be seen!

see:

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_route_my_email_through_gmail

I hope this helps.

Tags (1)
New Contributor N_D_
New Contributor

Thanks! That was a really helpful link. I followed the instructions to route my Optus mail through my gmail and back to my computer and iPhone. Waiting with bated breath to see whether I will be spared the daily 10 spam / scam emails...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hopefully you will ........ and by the way you are doing well to only get 10 a day!  :-)

Just a further tip, whenever in future you change your email password for Gmail, you will need to also change any redirection or 'send as' instructions you have set up as part of the steps you followed.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Julian1961
Occasional Contributor

This works a treat!  Thank you so much for sharing this with the Yes Crowd.  It's just a pity that the spam filter(s) that Optus themselves use are so lame and that I have to configure my mail through Gmail to stop the 20+ per day spam emails I keep getting! The "Report Spam" feature on Optus webmail is completely useless...shame, Singtel, shame!  Thank Heavens for Google!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thankyou for your feedback.   Glad to hear that helped.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have historically used my Optusnet email address in so many places one would be inclined to use only gmail instead, then I could move my internet to a new provider if I wanted to.

Top Contributors