cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: How do you move Optus Cable to another room???

No argument there. If you keep asking you might get a different answer. However a couple of factors do come into play. While Optus does keep your business its possibly only for 12 months. Relocating wiring and then adding in internal wiring and a new outlet etc. can be quite involved. Yours might be dead simple but it also might be quite difficult.

The other factor is that the Optus cable network is due to be torn down once the NBN is complete. I'm not sure Optus want to sink too much more money into a soon to be gone asset.

But that does remind me that in your situation most people would leave the Optus modem where it is. You just have to have a single CAT6 cable from the modem to the new room. Do you have the two modem/box setup at the moment? You install the second box (or a $30 switch) etc. in the new room. The 40m CAT6 cable might cost $40 and you can run it yourself or as suggested get a cabler to do it 'properly'.

https://www.jimsantennas.com.au/data-point-installation-repair/

You didn't answer if you have a landline already?

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

I want to move it for the classic reason. Its now in the kids room and it really needs to move. So it needs to move, that's that really.

I currently have one box outside the house that has a cable(of some sort) that runs through the attic down a wall and to a wall socket. I plug one modem, supplied by Optus into it.

On the Landline, the house came with one, what house doesn't, but I haven't ever used the landline in this house.

An on the Crazy part. I really do see your points, though I still think its bad business. If I had got a good response from them I would have just done it with them. An then they will keep my business for say 12 months. Then come NBN I would just switch with them again(less hassle - Fetch box etc).  Now it looks like I will be forced to move to Telstra and come the shift to NBN I will then stick with Telstra... They will lose many years, maybe 10 maybe more... Nuts...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Guess they gotta run their business as they see fit. "Shut up and take my money" doesn't always work it appears. Perhaps you'll get another option offered in this thread later on today.
FWIW it might be worth trying to get a quote. Just say you want to relocate an Optus point to another room, easy access? distance x? Might be worth staving off the hassle but yes, you will have to do the heavy lifting if you want to keep the relationship with Optus alive.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

We have actually both lost sight a little of the situation. I can cancel with Optus an then reconnect (with my Cable) with them. The issue here is In without internet for 5 - 7 business days. They have to do the same amount of work for the same amount of money this way. So it's just incompetent on Optus's part. If they simply allowed you to order a technician to come out and fix it, I wouldn't be forced to move company
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You did mention that early on. I'm not sure it works the way you think. Optus registers your household as either connected (physically) to their cable network. If not then they'll arrange for a cable to be installed. If yes then they just reactivate it.

Could be wrong.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well regardless, its seems like their IT just isn't up the the challenge. I came here after checking in depth with their technical support. They simply don't do what I need. If I didn't have a fetch box things would be simple. The options for a customer like that are:

1) Pay an ACMA Electrician to move it(who is liable if it doesn't work?)

2) Disconnect with Optus then reconnect with Optus(You have to wait 5 - 7 business days)

3) Connect up to Telstra and then when everything is working disconnect with Optus(Telstra will give you $90 for your troubles).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Except I don't think option (2) is actually an option - you can do it but it changes nothing.

FWIW NBNCo currently charge around $900 if you want to relocate the cable in after the first install. You're not legally allowed to touch the box to get someone to do it for you.

The cable coming out of the external box is yours and an electrician or licenced cabler would be able cut, splice and extend / move it easily enough. The Cabler would be responsible for this work and ensuring the signal is clear at the new outlet point. Sounds like that's the best way to go if don't want to switch to Telstra.

Peter Gillespie
0 Kudos