cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor ICantBeleiveIt
Occasional Contributor

How do you move Optus Cable to another room???

I can't be the only one... Years ago we got Cable installed, we liked where it was. Though we have changed the layout of the house and now we want to move the cable to another room.

I naturally assumed I can contact Optus and they would have this service, but no. They have shrugged me off and politely told me to contact an electrician, an ACMA approved electrician to be precise.  Can you imagine the potential endless drama if it doesn't work? Optus will blame the electrician, the electrician will blame Optus... Just no I don't want to go there... An I would think there would be something in that long service argument that would allow them to dismiss a problem if you tamper with there installation.

After investigating it seems like my only practical solution is to cancel my Optus broadband and then resign up with them, or someone else. The issue with this is I could be out of internet for up to a week.

Has anyone else been through this? How can this be resolved?

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: How do you move Optus Cable to another room???

Are you on the NBN yet?

What NBN technology will you be getting and when?

See here to find out.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi, thank you for the reply. No, I'm not on the NBN. I'm still on Cable. My NBN date keeps getting pushed back. Frankly I have no idea when I'll be connected. So I'm looking to move my Cable to another room, not NBN.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Though, for due diligence I have rechecked now. I'm now due for mid next year. That is unacceptable. Currently the best path for me would appear to be to cancel my connection with Optus and move to Telstra, which is a bizarre position Optus is pushing me into. I say this not out of spite, but I can arrange a connection with Telstra on the same day I cancel my Optus connection. Though if I wish to stay with Optus I must first disconnect with them and wait 5-7 business days for it to me reconnected.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Just an update, it might help someone else at some point in the future.

I've talked to Telstra to confirm that, if I go that way, they can instal on a given date that we both agree on. An of course I can cancel Optus on that date, so this is the most convent way to go given I can't get Optus to move the cable.

Telstras plan is $90 a month, the same the Optus plan, but they will give me one month free. So that's $90 off.

The gotcha? I like my Fetch TV box... I would have to buy one outright. They typically cost $449, but with the $90 of Telstra will offer me, that brings it down to $359.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

So I've now also looked into the Fetch TV bundles. iiNet and Dodo do this. iiNet only seems to do the mini(which I don't want). Dodo do the Mighty on  $80 a month plan... That $10 cheaper than a new Optus plan. They only want $124 to get it all installed. This certainly is the cheapest way I've found to solve this issue at this point.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi @ICantBeleiveIt ,

You're certainly moving fast. I just went out for lunch and you're well into the thread (thanks for the updates btw). FWIW I do have some suggestions that might give an alternative or save you money however you haven't said what NBN technology you are expecting (same like as above). 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Thank you for replying again. I don't see how it helps as Im on able not the NBN, but I'll play the game. Its says

Planned technology nbn Fibre to the Node (FTTN)*

Though please note they push back the date for this all the time and I don't wait to wait till mid next year to sort this (the currently expected time)...

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for playing @ICantBeleiveIt  😀,

Ok, well the bad news is FTTN. This is the NBN connection type everyone is complaining about. However not to freak you out as 75% of households can get 50-100 Mbps connections via FTTN. Its likely you'll be fine but you can only wait and see after they install it.

FTTN will require a telephone copper line up to your house. Have you got one installed now? If you sign with Telstra cable then then will send someone out to install the HFC cable and also a Telephone copper line in. The installers are usually pretty good at putting them where you want.

I'm a little surprised you are getting FTTN if you have the option of Telstra cable. This is because Telstra cable is what the NBNCo ususally use in areas it is available (NBNCO bought all of Telstra HFC cable). If you want to PM me your address I can double check FWIW.

Regardless though getting Telstra might be you best short term option as they'll install both cables and when it comes time to switch to the NBN all the lines are in place and its just a back end thing to switch over. Like Optus Telstra do month to month so you can jump to any RSP after getting onto the NBN (the only penalty is you have to pay off the $200 Telstra modem which is pro-rated over the contract) So if you stay with Telstra you only owe $100 on the modem. 

Given HFC cable is likely to be much better than FTTN I would suggest staying on it for as long as possible before switching. You'll have about 18 months after your area goes live with the NBN so you should probably switch to the NBN around October 2021. 

So then the good news. IMO its best to own a FetchTV unit outright. Any RSP will make you return it if you ever want to leave. You lose any free packages that the RSP offers (usually 1 free one) but you can subscribe via FetchTV direct and $1 buys you unlimited EPG. The best value ones are the officially reconditioned units by Fetch themselves. They come with a 24 month warranty and look like new. You can find them on their eBay store here. Price is $259 (with the current code PRINCE200) and you get to keep the free $90 from Telstra.

Peter Gillespie

PS Once you are setup then you can just contact Optus direct to remove the cable. I believe they don't schedule an exact day but just take it down the next time someone is in the area - you don't need to be home.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Thank you for your detailed reply. My gut feel was to go with Telstra. An if I do I will re-read your reply to make sure I ask for the right stuff!

Though lets take a breath and think... Isn't this all a bit well... dumb... Can't Optus not see that its in the their own best interests just to offer people a solution to this? Its practically crazy that a big company can't get this stuff figured out. An I'm not the first person to have this issue with them (thanks Google). They happy to offer new customers a new connection for free if they sign-up for 24 months. So why customers a free installation every 24 months? I mean... I would stay with Optus, simply for convenience if I could, but they have made it impossible to stay with them... Crazy... Totally Crazy... 

0 Kudos