Searching...

How do I speak with a real human?

lettej

This is the second time I have posted this but my first post disappeared after about 10 minutes. So, how do I speak with a real, live human being??

I have been a customer for nearly 20 years and have cable broadband, including premium speed.  My internet has been deteriorating so badly that it has become unusable at night. Last night my download speed was around 3.5Mbps and upload was as low as 0.21Mbps.   Last night I tried to call Optus and after pressing millions of buttons as I tried to get put through to the right person, the system hung-up on me after advising me they were overloaded and I should try live chat.

So, I eventually got live chat started, after having to wait because they were also too busy. Eventually, I was told that the problem was one of congestion (basically Optus has sold their product to more customers than it can service) and I should call 1300 555 241 during business hours where "we have a dedicated team who will help you out with the congestion".

Guess what?? When I called that number this morning I again made my arduous way through the automated call system and was again disconnected because they were too busy and again told to: ... "try live chat".

This endless loop that goes no-where is driving me crazy! I have now called so many different Optus numbers and they all lead me to the same Ground Hog experience. So, how do I speak with a real, actually breathing human being at Optus - preferrable, one who may be able to help me?

Re: How do I speak with a real human?

shane7

Even if you do get through, you will most likely be greeted by someone who has poor english skills and an accent that is hard to understand, mixed with a loud call centre is just great, And they dont seem to actually want to help you, but to try palm it off to someone else. So dont hold your breath, goodluck. Poor communication from a communications company.

TommyB

I have a similar complaint to yours and I have complained to the Telecommunications Ombudsman who forced the Optus Customer Relations Group in Adelaide to telephone me.  Make your TIO complaint here:

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Good luck...you'll need it.

lettej

I tried live chat again last night and complined about not being able to get through by phone and someone in India did call me back by phone.  They couldn't help me and tried to transfer my call but the number rang out.  To her credit, she did call me back about 5 minutes later and was then able to switch me through to someone else in India.

The end result is NOTHING.  Apparently, "it's a known problem and Optus is working on it".  No timeline though.  I tried to screw him down by asking him if he thought it may be a day, a week, a month, a year or years.  The answer was "I cannot tell you, but is there anything else that I can help you with today?".  What a joke.

Optus better get it's act together soon or we'll all be looking for another service provider.

Aman_B

So sorry on our late reply to your post @lettej, we've been a tad busy lately! I hope that since posting you've been able to get in touch with someone to help out with this?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
TommyB

If it is purely a matter of evening congestion then, indeed, "Optus knows all about it".  That's why the ACCC is barking down the throats of all ISPs to make their advertising reflects true expected evening speeds.  I think this is one way the ACCC is using to shame the companies into buying more CVC bandwidth to service the evening load.  The ISPs who truthfully advertise higher evening peak speeds will obviously get more customers.  Hang in there, things may improve in a matter of weeks as Optus realises that in order to maintain market share they will have to fork out for more bandwidth.

Sickofautovoice

Does Optus actually have flesh and bones staff members. Every goddamn number ends in a dead end call to another number with no goddamn support. 

I absolutely sick of being asked to reset everything-

i shouldn’t need to reset something out the box when I get home, when I think I want to use it, when I’m in the dunny thinking about internet, when I’m listening to the worlds most annoying voice over automated bot or when I’m trying to resolve an issue with the chat service which is basically the same as looking directly at the sun and hoping to find an answer.

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO REPORT AN ISSUE AND GET ASSISTANCE. At this point I will have to revert to pen and paper to complain formally and then await a formal response before I formally take this to the ombudsman. 

This is is ridiculous and a joke. The irony is my written letter is probably quicker then your stupid automated bot system and non existent NBN service.

Can I please get some contact from someone that can help or do I have to bend over backwards for service you should be offering!!!!!!

AlexRH

Hi @Sickofautovoice, can definitely appreciate that the experience you've had trying to have this resolved has been less than great Smiley Sad

If you can please PM me with your username/account number as well as brief description of the issue, I'd be happy to take a look. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Bix

Yep, same here, 

if you want to enquire about a new service arrangement they manage to talk to you until your signed up, never following through and finishing the connection, if you have an existing upgrade, downgrade or general service enquiry theres no one there and the endless loop of "go to the website", "oh that doesn't work....ummm I'll forward you on to someone who can help"....... disconnected and hung up on.... 

After trying to change a home phone/ internet / mobile bundle I cracked it and went to an actual shop, I was told buy someone in the Marrickville outlet last week " we can't help existing customers as the call centre we need to communicate with aren't open on weekends so you'll need to come back on Monday, if you were just signing up and a new customer I could activate you now but I cant do that for existing customers... sorry"

I then went to Broadway where they changed all my plans and got new modems sent out to me etc, they were really helpful but making the modem work seems to be a problem and again..... the endless crap service prevails as I spend a couple of hours being redirected and disconnected after selecting 2 for this and 4 for that.... just actually really bad and disappointing given some of their staff care and try to help. 

iControl

From business perspective and future direction, I understand the use of automated services, IVR, Voice recognition, Artificial Intelligence and Chatbot. It’s something that we will need to learn, adopt and tolerate.

Although, I am suggesting when building of these type of automations, any company must consider and apply the Customer Experience factors. I have to say a few interactions I've made with Optus has been painful through IVRs and Chat and finally I got a real live agent who I can speak to.

But then, I am facing some other potential challenges on the agent's technical skills, customer service (listening skill, language, psychological, ect). But sometimes when you have a good agent, they really shows their technical skills and interest to keep customer happy, regardless if they cannot resolve the issue on the spot.

I am suggesting for Optus team to conduct some mystery shopping and see what can be improve. I certainly want to see Optus succeeding in the customer experience as well.

Remember, human can only tolerate with machine for short period of time (depending on the generations), as human has been brought up to interact and educated by another human being.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
85 Kudos
80 Kudos
64 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos