How do I keep my optusnet email address if I change from Optus to another provided when NBN broadband becomes active in my area?
Solved! Solved: Go to Solution.
You don't. OPtus supply the email addresses to 'encourage' you to stay with them.
At this stage I would be migrating your email across to a non RSP dependent provider (like GMail). Its not that hard these days.
The process (of setting up a seperate email) doesn't affect your Optus account at all. You can set a GMail up tonight and have a play and switch back to Optus at any point if you feel its not working for you. General process is:
1) Set Up GMail Account. In Gmail:
2) In Gmail Settings set it to import all current emails from Optus
3) In Gmail Settings set it to import all new emails that go to the optus address (realtime)
Don't change the gmail reply address. The point is you want to get everyone using your new address. Any replys to the gmail address obviously go the the GMail account
4) Set the Optus emails to have a 'tag' (or colour code in GMail) makes it very easy to see whats still coming to OPtus.
5) Update important accounts with the GMail address (banks, utilities, security, subscriptions, etc.)
6) Email your contacts with the new address.
7) Roll through the last 6 months of Inbox and pick out any emails that you reckon need the email updated.
😎 Think about any annual events that need the email address updated (Rates?)
9) Monitor what's coming to Optus and whats coming to Gmail (all via GMail) and you should see almost nothing to OPtus soonish.
10) You're free
While you're at it, set up 2 factor authentication in GMail (and a recovery alternate address) for much better email security.