Searching...
Highlighted

How difficult to replace intermittent Cable Modem?

Starrsong

Hi all,

I've been an Optus customer at my current address for over 4 years now on a landline plan that offers 'free' internet access via cable modem. This is not particularly my preference, just what Optus set up when I first got in touch to arrange a landline and internet connection!

My modem is still connecting to the internet OK, but its WiFi drops out periodically - sometimes up to every 5-10 minutes if particularly unlucky and trying to watch something via internet TV Smiley Sad The indicator lights on the modem itself don't note a problem, but holding the WiFi reset button in for 10+ seconds seems to fix the issue. I'm certain that this is an issue of the modem rather than an issue of my devices, because we have a single PC connected via LAN cable and it doesn't lose this connection at the time the TV and our two phones lose the WiFi.

Everything I've read here suggests I need to call and have a series of 'discussions' or possibly pay to replace the modem, but my work life is insane and I don't really have the capacity to be on hold for an hour or more let alone have a series of conversations to make this happen. 

Help!

Anneliese

Re: How difficult to replace intermittent Cable Modem?

10000000000GB

Use one of the ethernet ports to bung on another wifi router or wifi module. Then turn off the old wifi inside the modem.

Starrsong

No idea how to do that personally, but I can probably find a friend to help. Although I think that then raises the problem of not enough powerpoints at the point the current modem is placed (& overloaded circuit already means I'm unsure if a power board will work or just trip the fuse!).

10000000000GB

I'm not really a router expert, but I've heard people do bizarre cascades to get wireless internet to their house.  Just be aware that an ordinary router that you might buy, MAY be one with an ADSL input, ie a modem router. There is another type of router which has an ethernet input, and is just a plain old router router.

I've seen one of my neighbours has a wifi module on his router, which looks like a kettle.

10000000000GB

JustinB

Hi Starrsong, apologies for the delay in response. Have you already raised your Wi-Fi modem issue with our Tech Support ? Probably, first try to change the Wi-Fi channel preference under modem settings and see how you go (most cases this fixes the issue)? Check out this article for some basic troubleshooting. If the issue still exists, then speak to our Tech Support on Live Chat here. Let us know if you need more assistance. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
76 Kudos
52 Kudos
50 Kudos
30 Kudos
20 Kudos