Searching...
Highlighted

How can I swap from Optus ADSL 2 to Optus Cable

Berg_kamp

I have a cable connection already at my house (former Foxtel customer) and I am fed up at poor ADSL2 speeds that I am recieving (between 2-4mbps). I find watching streamed sports fustrating as picture quality is poor. 

Can I easily get Optus to swap out my ADSL modem with a cable one? 

Re: How can I swap from Optus ADSL 2 to Optus Cable

10000000000GB

When is the NBN coming to upset everything you do?

Berg_kamp

It was supposed to be November last year. I signed up for Optus to email when this service will be available but not heard nothing yet. 

10000000000GB

There are two types of NBN: VDSL2+ and cable HFC. You need to work out what company you want to be with when NBN rocks up, because it will affect the equipment and style of NBN you get. Ring up some companies.

Berg_kamp

My neighbour recons he is getting 45GB! 

It looks like there is a fibre pit about 30M from my house. A cable runs down from a street pole in to this pit. Will that cable be fibre or copper. We are 5Km from our Telstra exchange. 

I have a previously installed cable running from that side of my house on catenary wire from my rear garden garage across to my house that is just 25M from that pit. (My ADSL cable comes in underground from the front). 

I just need someone to hook me into that pit & provide me a service.  

10000000000GB

I assume he means 45mbs, which is an average VDSL2+ speed. Cable AKA coax, supports DOCSIS 3 etc, which will do fibre-type speeds over long distances, because it is shielded. The NBN is generally congested after the node, due to CVC bandwidth being over-priced from the NBN. If your node is close, it may not make much difference in the short term.

petergdownload

What suburb and street are you in? I can possibly check Optus cable availability.

Regards 

Peter Gillespie

Berg_kamp

Im in Marino, Angas Crescent. 

Yes I would like to see if Optus cable is available as I don't want to wait a year for NBN. 

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Sorry but seems either ADSL or Broadband Wireless are your only Optus options.

If you wanted to look further a field then there is another company offering cable connections in your street.

The added benefit would be transferring to the NBN in 12 months would require no extra installation.

It appears the NBN is close to live in your area. Currently all HFC Cable NBN areas are being reviewed and upgraded so it might only be another three months before you can go NBN.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
63 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos