Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
BenziBola
New Contributor
New Contributor

Horrible Internet (Ping & Packet Loss)

I have been using Optus for years now, and for the past six months or so, my internet has been extremely unreliable and problematic. Often my internet is fine, but at least one-quarter of the time, I have ping upwards of 200 when playing games, often around 1000. Packet loss is also fluctuating while I am lagging, and this makes playing games impossible. I pay a lot of money to get the top plan with 100mbps down, however, I am very close to switching providers as this internet is simply unacceptable. I use ethernet, but this is an issue for ethernet and wifi, at all times of the day. (Not just peak hours) 

I hope I can get an explanation (and solution!) to this problem soon or I think I will swap providers.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Horrible Internet (Ping & Packet Loss)

Nobody can give you an explanation without any information, as all you've done is threaten to change provider with no actual information.

What Optus internet service do you have? FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FTTP, HFC, Optus HFC, ADSL? 

What modem?

Can you show these alleged pings?

Can you show a traceroute to the game you claim "is constantly laggy"?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.