cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Remmet
Occasional Contributor

Home Wireless Broadband requirements

I live rurally, and up until recently were only (barely) covered by Telstra.  Fast forward to now, Optus has put in a new tower and I'm now receiving 5 bars with my new phone.  

I am interested in the Home Wireless Broadband, but the site says that it is not available in my area.  However, doesn't that just use the same infrastructure as the mobile phones, so why would phones work but the Home Wireless not? 

The site recommends ADSL, but due to a lack of ports I have been unable to get ADSL the multiple times I've tried in the past.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Home Wireless Broadband requirements

What post code / street?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Home Wireless Broadband does use the same network as Optus Mobiles (4g) but is only sold in areas where their is capacity to do so.

This is to try and reduce congestion which is a major issue with too many people trying to access the mobile network on the same tower.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Home wireless broadband is no longer an interesting product to rural subscribers due to the huge plans that have come out in the last year.

One reason HWB is not available rurally is that NBN owns the 2300 band in rural areas and deploys something similar but more restricted.

It is possible to register a hwb service in a city and drag it into a rural !ocation, where it will perform on the 700 band at 5/1 speeds. Optus wont even care because you would be better off on the 140GB or 100GB with unmetered TV streaming.

Top Contributors