Searching...

Re: Home Wireless Broadband FAQ's

PaulDTroy

No idea how they work out who qualifies. But 12/1 is not strictly allocated to 2300, because I have those speeds on 2600 But then , that may be because I don't have 2300 in my area. 

Swill

After spending an hour on the phone this morning to 4 different Optus employees, I thought I might try and get a response here.

I would like to sign up to this service, however because the coverage checker is out of date (states I only can get 2/3g when I have have good 4G reception for at least 6 months!), I can't sign up.  Even though I have explained this to a number of operators at Optus, it seems the IT system won't allow an "override" of the coverage checker.

Nghi

Hey PaulDTroy - as mentioned in the FAQ's above, you can expect to receive speeds comparable to ADSL on this service. Whilst the service uses our 4G network, it's designed to be used in the home. The speed of the data transmitted is different from the speed of data on other services supplied over our 4G network.

Hey Swill, there are multiple factors involved in checking serviceability for Home Wireless Broadband and available frequencies are only one. We do take a survey of entire area plus the current load on the site towers. If there isn't enough capacity to accommodate Home Wireless Product then it won't be offered so that we don't degrade service to existing customers of HWB and standard mobile services.

BIRRR

Is this done on a case by case basis ?  I'm yet to find anyone who has managed to get connected to this new service.  Optus Retail store in Emerald QLD told me it hasn't been trialled in 'county' areas yet so is not available.  Is this correct ?

Thanks

Kristy

BIRRR

SamSam

@PaulDTroy advised above he's connected. Not sure if you're rural or "country" though Paul?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted

PaulDTroy

I'm in lismore nsw

Swill

Thanks for the response Nghi, however I live in a rural area so therefore I don't think it is load related.  Additionally, I currently have 4G and get quite good download speeds from it

Nghi

Hi guys, the Home Wireless Broadband product is brand new and we are being cautious on the initial roll-out. Eligibility criteria are always been monitored and can change in future. There is no way to over-ride the serviceability check and force order through however areas are added/removed as towers are upgraded etc.

Load is not only measured by peak speed/capacity but rather average data usage over time. This new product is meant to substitute for a fixed line service and we expect customers to do more streaming/larger downloads etc. Once it becomes available in an area we would expect a marked increase in bandwidth utilisation and we have to make sure have the necessary backhaul from those remote towers.

Wahroonga

Thanks Nghi,

Your information makes the product situation clearer.

However most readers will still simply wish to know:

1. why they can't get it if the have good 4G available?
  2. why they can simply register a unit a their Aunty Floe's place in the city (which has coverage on the checker) and then move it to their place, where, as long as they have 4G coverage, they'll connect?

This action may degrade the Optus network for other (more expensive plan $) users.

Cheers

Wahroonga

jx

It is extremely frustrating when the address diagonally adjacent is eligible and my address is not - the houses must be all of 15 metres apart. Part of this frustration is that we are in a metro area in a group of 30 houses that cannot get ADSL due to pair gain, nor any other broadband except through wireless means.

Of course perhaps this means it would be marginal service at that house. It would be hard to know I guess.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
80 Kudos
77 Kudos
71 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos