Searching...
Highlighted

Home Wireless Broadband FAQ's

[ Edited ]
Optus

Q. What is Home Wireless Broadband?

A. A simple ‘plug and play’ internet solution, using a SIM-ready wireless modem. The connection is delivered to your home via our 4G Plus network instead of a cable or phone line.

Q. How does Home Wireless Broadband differ from Mobile Broadband?
A. Home Wireless Broadband is designed to stay in your home, and is positioned as an alternative to a fixed internet connection. It has speeds similar to ADSL, with high monthly data inclusions (50GB), and a simple plug and play installation process, making it easy for customers to get online in no time! Home Wireless Broadband only uses the 4G Plus network and so is only available to customers who live in serviceable 4G Plus coverage areas.

Mobile Broadband is for those customers that want to stay connected on the go with Tablets, USB/Wi-Fi modems.  Mobile Broadband accesses our 2G/3G/4G networks and as such has data limits of 1.5-12GB as the networks are shared across all Optus mobile products.

Q. How does Home Wireless Broadband differ from Home Broadband (ADSL or cable)?
A. Home Wireless Broadband is a broadband service powered by our 4G Plus network. It’s just like your fixed home broadband service, but delivers the connection to your house wirelessly via our 4G Plus network, instead of via cable or phone line like ADSL.

There’s no complex installation processes meaning it’s easy to be online in no time.

Q. What sort of download speeds can I expect?
A. We’ve configured the network especially to support the new product. So while Home Wireless Broadband uses our 4G Plus network, it delivers a different speed experience to mobile.

The service is designed to be used in the home and the speed of data transmitted using the service is different from the speed of data using other services supplied over our 4G network. In metropolitan areas where there is 2300 MHz coverage at your nominated address, download and upload speeds of up to 12/1Mbps are available. If 2300 MHz coverage is not available at your nominated address, download and upload speeds of up to 5/1 Mbps are available.

Actual speed will depend on a number of factors including congestion, location, local conditions, hardware, software and general internet traffic

Q. Can I move the device?
A. Yes. The service operates on the 4G Plus network, but we may limit serviceability in some areas. Before moving, you should contact us so we can carry out a coverage check at the new location.

Q. Can Home Wireless Broadband data inclusions be shared with other Mobile or Mobile Broadband Services?
A. No. Home Wireless Broadband does not share data with other services.

Q. Can Home Wireless Broadband be offered to Small Business Customers?
A. Yes, Home Wireless Broadband is also available to Small Business Customers.

Q. Can I have a Home Wireless Broadband Service on the same bill as one of my mobile or mobile broadband services?
A. Yes. The services can be on the same account but they will not share data.

Q. Can I get a static IP on Home Wireless Broadband?

A. No, the service does not support Static IP.

Q. How much does extra data cost on Home Wireless Broadband?
A. Once you have used up your 50GB of included data allowance, you will automatically be given another 10GB data and charged $10. Once you reach a maximum of 60GB your service will be slowed to 256Kbps until the next billing cycle, when your data allowance resets

Q. Is there any way to stop my service from being slowed to 256Kbps?
A. No, once the service has been slowed to 256Kbps you will need to wait until your next bill cycle for your data speed to reset. You will be sent alerts throughout the month to track your data usage. These will be sent when you reach 50%, 85% and 100% of your 50GB data allowance, and also when you reach 85% and 100% of your additional 10GB data allowance.

Q. What about roaming – Can the service be used overseas?
A. No, the service can only be used within Australia. If you want to roam overseas you should choose a mobile broadband service.

Q. Can the Home Wireless Broadband SIM be used in other mobile or mobile broadband devices?
A. No, the SIM cannot be used in other mobile or mobile broadband devices. It will only work with the modem supplied by Optus (E5816). If you try to put the SIM into any other device, the service will not work.

Q. Can I bring my own modem to use?
A. No, the SIM will only work with the modem that is supplied by Optus (E5816) and purchased as part of your Home Wireless Broadband plan. If the you try to put the SIM into any other device, the service will not work.

Q. How do usage alerts work for Home Wireless broadband?
A. Alerts will be sent to you to help track their usage. These will be sent when you reach 50%, 85% and 100% of your 50GB included data allowance . You’ll also be sent an alert if you reach 85% and 100% of your 10GB of additional data allowance each month.

Q. How do customers see how much of their data has been used?
A. You can check your usage via My Account.

Q. Who can get Home Wireless Broadband?
A. The service is available to consumer and Small Business customers. There is limit of 2 services per customer.

Q. Are there any plans with Higher Data inclusions?
A. No, at the moment there is only 1 plan available which includes 50GB of data.

Re: Home Wireless Broadband FAQ's

tyson5ek

I have a question guys. I saw in a previous post that someone enquired about '14 usernames'. Can you please PM me or explain to me what they are? Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I think for every account you can have up to 14 email addresses. Smiley Happy

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/how-to-add-or-remove-additional-email-accounts?requestTy...

viewer

When will this service be available in Nana Glen NSW 2450.

The online portal advised "

Oops... Home Wireless broadband is not available at your address."

.......but gave no indication of when it is expected.

There is already an Optus Mobile Tower in Nana Glen..............

Site ID9010597
NameOptus Lattice Tower Off Brewers Road
LocationNANA GLEN NSW 2450
PrecisionWithin 10 meters
Elevation115 m
Latitude (GDA94)-30.14166637
Longitude (GDA94)152.99512088   [ KML ]
Licence Fee Density

Low Density Areas

Can we expect services to be provided from here, and when?

Thank you.

SamSam

My understanding is that you need 4G Plus coverage to have this service @viewer. Looking at the coverage maps it looks like 4G Plus is spotty at best and 6 months into the future doesn't show improvements so might be a little while...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

BIRRR

Can someone link me to the 4g plus Optus coverage area ? Does anyone know if the modem for the home wireless broadband has a port for antenna connection ? Does it work with a celfi booster ?

PaulDTroy

I have ordered the package but concerned that the service is throttled? Some have reported 5mbps and others 10mbps  . is this true? And what speed is the modem throttled at?

SamSam

@BIRRR Optus coverage is here - http://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobile/network/coverage Bottom right there's an option to show/hide the map key which will explain which colour is 4G Plus

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

[ Edited ]
Wahroonga

Hi,

It is advised that Home Wireless Broadband is available in all 4G+ areas.

Just what constitutes 4G+ remains a mystery to me.

Clearly it is a some mix of of the Optus 4G bands; but what bands precisely?

Optus may provide 4G coverage on the following frequencies depending on location and roll out:

• 700Mhz (B28) * 10Mhz
  • 1800Mhz (B3  * 15Mhz, Metro only, (as I understand)
  • 2100Mhz (B1) * 20Mhz Metro, 15Mhz Non metro
  • 2300 (B40 TDD) * 48Mhz, (Metro only, as I understand)
  • 2600Mhz (B7) * 20Mhz

* Effective paired spectrum bandwidth

Note: Only 700Mhz is useful in the country, the other frequencies are most suitable within a few Kms of a tower in metro conditions. The above information is based on my own investigations and may not be complete or correct.

Questions

1. Is Home Wireless Broadband only available/ intended in metro areas and not country?
  2. I've searched addresses which indicate Optus 4G+ wireless coverage and yet they don't qualify for Optus Home Wireless Broadband? Why?
  3. Is it that some Optus 4G+ areas are already over subscribed?
  4. Is it that those areas don't have the magic mix of required bands? Or something else?
  5. How quickly will Optus Home wireless Broadband coverage increase?
  6. Can Optus provide a detailed map with Optus Wireless Broadband coverage? Perhaps include Optus Wireless Broadband as a coverage map option.
  7. The Optus coverage map does not include the very modem that Optus Wireless Broadband requires, the Huawei E5186.

Sorry for the bunch of questions, but this product appears to be poorly developed and even more poorly understood by potential customers.

Thanks

John k

SamSam

Looks like you've done your research! I don't have answers to all of your questions but some info that might help at least.

I don't think there's an exact definition for the 4G+ network. I think they just refer to any 4G enabled area as 4G+. That said, the reason why you might find your area is "unserviceable" according the coverage checker is this line in the Critical Information Summary - " There may also be technical or commercial reasons that affect your ability to access the service at your address."

I believe this covers them for when they won't be supplying the service if there is already a large amount of mobile data users in the area as well as other reasons. The CIS is available here: http://smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/All/cis/Cis%20Documents/1416382_$70_Home_Wireless_Broadband_50G...

The CIS also refers specifically to the 2300MHz spectrum for the top speed of 12/1 Mbps and if it's not available then you'll get 5/1 Mbps where the service is available. Not sure what mix of spectrums they need when 2300MHz isn't available though sorry.

Best of luck and if you get any extra info, please share!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
76 Kudos
36 Kudos
34 Kudos
29 Kudos