cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Help using 3rd party VOIP service

@Wazza1999 wrote:
I posted a lengthy update which suddenly disappeared after it was posted... odd???

Luckily for you I got notified of that post before it disappeared, here it is:

Some updates from today:
1. I was on the phone with Linksys sypport and we have been able to get the NBN working using the Linksys Router using auto detect DHCP.
2. the Optus service is FTTP
3. I can now easily switch between the Linksys modem and the 5366TN, or I can have the Linksys behind the 5366TN.
4. VOIP still does not work, regardless of which modem and set up I try.
5. Diagnosed the ATA to be faulty with Primus Technical support. The ATA must have malfunctioned during the switch.. tech support said that even small changes can mess them up...
6. Primus Canada is sending me a replacement which is being mailed to family in Canada and they will forward to me... expected delivery in 3-4 weeks... lol

At least I have forwarded my CDN number to my Skype world subscription so technically I have access to that phone.

Next, I will try OOMA.com and Ringcentral.ca Both of these have smart phone applications so I don't need the physical hardware set up. Time will tell as I have yet to find an application based VOIP service with decent phone quality needed for business calls. They claim HD quality... we will see 🙂 Both are cloud based phone systems which would be better for travel connectivity, plus they have cheap unlimited International calling... 40 counties for $20 landline and mobile... 🙂

Thanks again for your help and I will provide an update when I get the new ATA delivered

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Some updates from today:
1. I was on the phone with Linksys sypport and we have been able to get the NBN working using the Linksys Router using auto detect DHCP.
2. the Optus service is FTTP

Cool, FTTP & FTTC look the same to the router so its trivial simple use your own router.

3. I can now easily switch between the Linksys modem and the 5366TN, or I can have the Linksys behind the 5366TN.

Its actually better to have the 5366TN behind the Linksys (its a router, the NBN box is the modem in FTTP)  if you end up using both at the same time. The Linksys should be a lot more configurable, and therefore less hassle, then the 5466TN.

4. VOIP still does not work, regardless of which modem and set up I try.
5. Diagnosed the ATA to be faulty with Primus Technical support. The ATA must have malfunctioned during the switch.. tech support said that even small changes can mess them up...

I know they can mess up easily. I'm using a Linksys PAP2-NA which is a rebadged Cisco similar to the SPA112, and it died shortly after a firmware update for no reason at all.

I was going to suggest another test which was to connect the ATA directly to NBN box, to bypass router issues altogether, but that point is moot now until you get the replacement ATA.

Thanks again for your help and I will provide an update when I get the new ATA delivered

Please do, really curious if/how you get it to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Great, I am glad that you recieved it. You can delete the full post as likely they didn't like me mentioning 3rd party providers that I use overseas... Competition in a way so understandable...

We were about to do the direct ATA test but couldn't even get the Internet to work through it doing a ethernet direct link so that failed test confirmed it.

I'll post an update for you once I get the new box in. Cheers, W 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

You can delete the full post as likely they didn't like me mentioning 3rd party providers that I use overseas... Competition in a way so understandable...

Nah, they couldn't care less about that kind of stuff, the competition gets mentioned here often enough. If they do care about it they can delete it themselves 😀.

They just have a buggy system. I once lost a post after making a trivial edit to it, nothing even remotely problematic in the post, it just disappeared for no reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

We were about to do the direct ATA test but couldn't even get the Internet to work through it doing a ethernet direct link so that failed test confirmed it.

Actually, just thought of a reason the ATA would not get internet without it being hardware failure.

Did you power off/on the ATA after plugging it directly into the internet line? If you did not, i.e you had it plugged into the 5366TN/Linksys and just changed the LAN connection rather than powering it down, it would most likely still have the IP address it was assigned when it was first plugged, That is a local IP (i.e. 192.168.0.x) and not a public internet address, so it could not get internet access.

Same goes for plugging the ATA into the Linksys, whas it power cycled after being connected. In this case the Linksys may have assigned it a different IP address while the ATA itself remembered the IP it got from the 5366TN. 

Just thinking out-loud.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

lol... I am an expert at power cycling... I've had to do it so many times over the years.... The call center guy laughed when he saw that I've had my VOIP service since Feb 2004! The first few years were very problematic as the technology was fairly new but been pretty reliable over the years since.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

lol... I am an expert at power cycling...

🤣Aren't we all. To be a true expert is to know what to power cycle, when, and in what order.

In my current setup I occasionally reboot my Asus during trouble shooting, but I have to remember to cycle the ATA after the Asus, even though I've given the ATA a static IP within its setting. If I don't do that I'll lose VoIP ability even if VoIP was fine before the Asus reboot. There is no logical reason I could think of to need an ATA cycle in this situation, but I do. That's modern tech for you.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors