cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Help using 3rd party VOIP service

I have just migrated from Internode NBN to Optus NBN. 

I am trying to install my 3rd party VOIP service but the Optus supplied modem seems to block my ATA from communicating to the outside world.

The ATA is  a Cisco SPA122

I have logged into the modem gateway and it is showing that the device has been given an IP address but it still cannot talk to the service provider. 

I have contacted support but they seem to not be able to help me and claim that the Optus support team does NOT give support for the OPTUS supplied modem?  

Some comments in other threads state that I need SIP info?

I am basic at networking so any help appreciated.  Thank you

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Help using 3rd party VOIP service

@Wazza1999 wrote:

I have just migrated from Internode NBN to Optus NBN. 

I am trying to install my 3rd party VOIP service but the Optus supplied modem seems to block my ATA from communicating to the outside world.

Are you also using the Optus VoIP (i.e. landline)?

Regardless if you are actually using the Optus VoIP its probably using the same ports as your 3rd party service.

We need more info. What's 3rd part service are you using? Do they provide configuration info online, if so can you provide a link.

I have contacted support but they seem to not be able to help me and claim that the Optus support team does NOT give support for the OPTUS supplied modem?  

They support the modem (just enough to get the internet and Optus phone working), but not the 3rd party VoIP service which is why they won't help.

Some comments in other threads state that I need SIP info?

I assume you have used that ATA with that 3rd party service while with Internode. If so, it should already be configured with the correct SIP details.

I am basic at networking so any help appreciated.  Thank you

If you only want to use the 3rd party VoIP, and not the Optus VoIP, then it might be just a matter forwarding ports 5060-5061 to the ATA. If you want to use both, that might be a problem.

As you are new to Optus I assume you have the current router which is the Sagemcom F@ST 5366TN, correct?

Also, what type of Optus NBN service do you have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply,

I am not using the Optus voip. I have no need for it.

Different port. My ATA is using the LAN1 port.

Service is Primus Digital Home Phone in Canada. I spoke with them and they couldn't find any literature on the Sagemcom 5366TN modem.

I am not sure about the ATA configuration. Primus does their own config and sends it out by mail. I have used their service for 17 years on various network set ups and this is the first time I have had an issue.

For support I ended up hanging up as I sat on hold 4 times, 20 minutes+ each time talking to someone who could not understand english too well. I asked for my issue to be escalated but then sat on hold for 25 more minutes.... very frustrating.... The 3rd party VOIP service is not the issue... Guaranteed... it worked fine 2 days ago when I was still with Internode.

RE: the SIP details... I found some posts on here stating that the SIP details in the modem need to be changed but Optus will not provide this info or it is locked down. When with Internode I had my own Linksys router with NBN and it worked fine. Optus forced me to switch to the Sagemcom 5366TN. My previous router doesn't work with OPTUS NBN but worked fine with Internode...

How do I forward ports 5060-5061 to the ATA?

I am on the NBN50 plan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Wazza1999 wrote:

Service is Primus Digital Home Phone in Canada.

OK, so looks like the port information is here

I spoke with them and they couldn't find any literature on the Sagemcom 5366TN modem.

Yeah, that thing is a mystery there is no info to be found on other then its Optus unveiling here.

For support I ended up hanging up as I sat on hold 4 times, 20 minutes+ each time talking to someone who could not understand english too well. I asked for my issue to be escalated but then sat on hold for 25 more minutes.... very frustrating.... The 3rd party VOIP service is not the issue... Guaranteed... it worked fine 2 days ago when I was still with Internode.

This issue is because its 3rd party Optus will not support it at all. You will not get any help from official Optus support at all.

RE: the SIP details... I found some posts on here stating that the SIP details in the modem need to be changed but Optus will not provide this info or it is locked down. 

Yes, the 5366TN is locked down. They do not give admin access to the router so even if you had the correct SIP details from Primus you could not use the 5366TN's VoIP lines .

I had my own Linksys router with NBN and it worked fine. Optus forced me to switch to the Sagemcom 5366TN.

You only need the Optus supplied 5366TN if you want to use their VoIP service.

If you have NBN FTTB or NBN FTTN then you need a modem and router.

If you have NBN FTTC or NBN HFC you then you only need a router (i.e. your old NBN Linksys router).

How do I forward ports 5060-5061 to the ATA?

I am on the NBN50 plan

Its under Network Settings->Port Forwarding . Based on the Primus info I found you need to forward 5062 only for "TCP-UDP".

The manual also mentions:

Port 60000-65000 (both TCP and UDP)
      Ports 16384 – 32767 (UDP only)

But those ranges are way to wide to just blindly forward them because for VoIP only and it may affect other devices, especially if you have games consoles. But if forwarding 5062 alone does not get VoIP working then you can forward these as well, if only for testing.

I am on the NBN50 plan

I should of been clearer, I actually wanted to know service type, i.e. FTTN, FTTC etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your help on this!
What are all the settings in the port forwarding?

It has the following options under Add Rules Manually:
Custom service name (I'll use Primus)
Service (drop down list with many options) - ?
External host - ?
Internal host -?
Protocol - TCP-UDP (from drop down as suggested)
External Port - ?
Internal Port - ?

I do not know which service it is FTTN or FTTC... I can find it listed anywhere....when I log into the account I find the device is the following (if that helps):
AC Wifi Modem (NBN FTTP/NBN FW)

Thanks Again 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

the link also showed Port 443 (TCP only)

If using a Linksys SPA2100/SPA2102 or Cisco SPA122 gateway:

Port 5062 + 60000-65000 TCP/UDP (both TCP and UDP)
Port 443 (TCP only)
Ports 16384 – 32767 (UDP only)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Service - Other
External host - <LEAVE BLANK>
Internal host - <IP address of your ATA>
Protocol - TCP-UDP (from drop down as suggested)
External Port - 5062
Internal Port - 5062

Note that the ATA should have a fixed IP address, so if you haven't done so already go to Modem Settings->LAN IPv4 and press "Add Reserved Address" button, select the ATA from the Device Name dropdown box and save changes by pressing Apply at bottom of page.

the link also showed Port 443 (TCP only)

Yeah, I saw that but that's the standard HTTPS port which should not need forwarding. If you were to forward that you would not be able to browse HTTPS sites (i.e. basically 99% of the internet) as they would all get redirected to your ATA.

I do not know which service it is FTTN or FTTC... I can find it listed anywhere....when I log into the account I find the device is the following (if that helps):

OK, if the 5366TN connects to the internet via the red WAN port then it will be FTTC.

If its connected to internet via grey DSL port then its FTTN.

Thanks Again 🙂

👍

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, through the red, therefore FTTC... ty

I have added all settings however still no luck. I also tried the DMZ setting without success.

From Primus link you sent:
"To go around having to setup these ports in your router you may be able to setup a DMZ IP for the Digital Home Phone Adapter to connect with."

I will give Primus another call in the morning and continue.

Thank you for your assistance!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Wazza1999 wrote:
Yes, through the red, therefore FTTC... ty

That's good news, it means you should be able to replace the 5366TN with your Linksys .  

I think pretty much the only change you need to make within the Linksys for it to work with Optus instead of Internode is change the "WAN Interface" from "PPP over Ethernet" to "Automatic IP" or "DHCP" (or something equivalent, don't know exactly what it is because I don't have/use Linksys) 

I'm on FTTC as well and using an Asus router instead of the 5366TN they sent me. 

I will give Primus another call in the morning and continue.

Don't know if they will be able to help you, but at least now you have a lot more info to work with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I posted a lengthy update which suddenly disappeared after it was posted... odd???
0 Kudos