Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor rasd
New Contributor

Help please with settings for Optus email

Hi,

having issues setting up Outlook 2010 with the Optus DSL email settings correctly.

All details as per Help page with server details.

Have set all server settings correctly: Logging on as POP or IMAP account

Correct username and password.

POP server:     mail.optusnet.com.au     Port: 110

SMTP server:  mail.optusnet.com.au      Port: 25 (have also tried 465)

no authentication required.

Logs on no problems but cannot log onto the SMTP server to send the test email.   Tried extending timeout - no luck.

Tried disabling firewall to exclude port blocking - no luck.

Tried different clients - Windows Live Mail (manual configuration) and Thunderbird (manual config with autodetection enabled as well)  - all the same result - No luck.  Always logs onto server (so username and password are correct) but unable to send test mails (SMTP server).

When logging on through Webmail portal, everything works perfectly!

Any ideas as I have run out them 🙂

Many thanks.

RASD

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Help please with settings for Optus email

Hi rasd,

Have you tried setting your email client to require login when sending emails? This may resolve the issue for you.

Chris
New Contributor Chrabis001
New Contributor

This same issue is driving me crazy.

I'm trying to set up email for an old gentleman who needs assistance with his PC.

He is an Optus customer but outgoing mail from Outlook 2010 fails every time.

I have tried all of the combos, followed the Optus videos but it still fails.  Receiving emails is fine outgoing does not pass the "Test Account Settings".  I get the message "Sent test email message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server If you continue to receive this message, contact ypur server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

I see lots of people with the same issue on other streams on this forum and on other places on the internet.  Nowhere is there a satisfactory reply from Optus or form any of the people who may have resolved the issue but had decided not to update the forums.

Help, help.

0 Kudos
New Contributor WillFam
New Contributor

Similar issue - the outgoing mailer server is offline. I've checked a few forums and asked a computer nerd and one suggestion is to turn off the modem and get an new IP. This doesnt appear to be that easy, as you need to turn off the Optus modem and then your router if you have one for long enough that the IP address is reset. Mine is still off, so cant verify if this will be successful. Stay tuned

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Dave
RetiredModerator

Hi Guys,

Is this still an ongoing issue? Post back if it is and we can have someone look further into it for you.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor pndinter
Occasional Contributor

I am having same issue as RASD did in 2014, can any one help?

My problem is

unable to log onto incoming server using port 110 and send email using outgoing server port 25 with outlook 2016. There is no encryption

I can log onto incoming server using port 995 using SSL and outgoing server 465 with SSL which works for for other providerswhich works for other providers but not optusnet. I am using same settings as incoming server.

0 Kudos
Moderator GuyCS

Hey @pndinter - not great to hear you're having trouble with your Optusnet email through Outlook 2016. Seems like you're using the correct SMTP and PoP  settings though.

Just to confirm, are you able to log in and send/receive emails via the Webmail Portal or are you experiencing issues both ways?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks GuyCS,

I can send successfully using webmail

0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hi @ pndinter -  I am glad your enquiry has been resolvedFeel free to contact us again if you need help with anything else. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi , This is not resolved, you misunderstand me I can send by webmail but not outlook. I have multi[ple email addresses I don't want to log on to multiple sites why can't Outlook send from my optus accounts when the other sites can?

0 Kudos