Searching...

Re: Help With Your WiFi Modem Username & Password

gary55wands

I cannot believe what I read. Optus does not support the advanced features of the modems they supply!!!!

We are going backwards here. What is the point of having modems / routers with advnaced features if they can't  be used!!!!!

Truly amazing statement.

Get the manual that the manufacture WILL have on file (ISO9000 standards require this as basic tenet) and provide us with it. At least we can try to secure our networks properly and enhance the functionality of our sytems.

kikusom

Open your web browser by typing the address http://192.168.0.1

Page opens with OPTUS WIFI Modem.

On the left side Menu click on Advanced Settings.

In Advanced settings Menu click on wireless

In "wireless Menu" click on Security. On right hand  you will see "wireless-security"

In this page go to "Manal Setup AP"

Look for WPA?WAPI passphrase.

The box in front contains password supplied by OPTUS. In front of the box "click to display" is written.

Click on this line and you will see the password supplied by OPTUS in bold letters.

Bring your cursor in the box and replace the Optus password with your own.

Within 5 minutes new password becomes operational

Doesn't regonise the link so can't get into it Getting ve...

gosfordgirl

Doesn't regonise the link so can't get into it Getting very frustrated 

Bought a wifi and all i want to do is be able to get on the stupid internet 

Why is this so damm hard  

Re: Doesn't regonise the link so can't get into it Getting ve...

Nghi

Hey gosfordgirl, if you're just looking for the default WiFi name and password. They are written on the modem itself. Either underneath or on the side. Our tech support crew are always happy to assist as well on 131344 open 24/7.

BDmoderated

Ive changed my modem passwords to OPTUSREALLYSUCK!

Do you think that exclamation mark makes it secure enough? The password itself is quite obvious and almost goes without saying but that exclamation mark is a real winner i think

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
autMia

[Below: Enabling some password protection, getting the real admin password and, changing the admin password and preventing Optus from locking you out of the admin options in future]

[Enabling limited password protection]

[Note: by default there is no password for changing your wifi SSID and password (what Optus has called an admin password at the start of this thread), you can do that by simply going to your routers main page, clicking Setup & Configuration then clicking Wifi]

If you'd like to "password protect" the settings on the Sagemcom F@ST3864V2 you kind of can.

Optus has pushed out a software update that allows you to password protect the "Advanced Settings" section of your router, to enable it you'll need to go to http://192.168.0.1/password.html and check the box that says "Enable Optus Secure Profile", you will need to provide the default password which is optus, then provide your desired password and repeat it for verification, then click Apply/Save.

After you've done this anyone who tries to edit the Advanced Settings section (http://192.168.0.1/main.html?loginuser=1) will need the username optus and your new password.

This only password protects some options as somebody without the password can still change your wifi password or DSL details (a problem if you're a DSL customer, which you probably aren't if you have this hell router).

[Getting the admin access you came to this thread to find]

• After going to http://192.168.0.1/main.html?loginuser=1 and logging in with your new password, go to http://192.168.0.1/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd?loginuser=0 (this doesn't seem to work in Safari?)
  • On this page look for a section near the top that says <AdminPassword>somepassword</AdminPassword>
  • Copy the text in between the two sections and put it into the top section of https://www.base64decode.org/ and click decode
  • Your admin password will be displayed in the bottom section (the question mark at the end is not part of your password!)
  • Great, so now you have the password, how do you use it? Simple!
  • Just go to http://192.168.0.1/main.html (notice there is no "loginuser=X" at the end) and use the username admin and the real admin password you just got
  • Congrats, you can change a lot of things now, be careful

If you'd like to change the admin password go to http://192.168.0.1/password.html again and choose admin from the drop down list

[Preventing Optus from changing the admin password in the future (something the are likely to do)]

• After you've logged in using that admin password go to http://192.168.0.1/tr69cfg.html
  • Simple hit Disable followed by Apply/Save
  • Note: this will stop you from receiving any future software updates

gary55wands

Hi autMia,

Thanks for the information, The last line of your post stops me from going ahead with your processes. Not getting updates would be much worse thatn the situation we are in now.

autMia

Most people won't need the admin level of access, simply following the first option to enable the Optus Secure Profile will still allow you to receive updates whilst password protecting some of your routers configuration.

cherft

Hi Andy

You coincidentally dropped this post as I posted on a similar topic.

Copied below. Would love to hear from you if you can sus out my problem, connecting to the Netgear.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Chris

------------------------------------

Posted a few minutes ago:

SHORT STORY

My NETGEAR Gateway CG3000-2STAUS Internet WiFi MODEM/Router was "hung" (all lights on steady). So I tried restarting it a couple of times, then had to Factory Reset it. Came up all right and the cable internet connection working OK for this PC and the WiFi SEEMS to be working OK (drops out and in very frequently), but has reverted to its out-of-box SSID, which I want to change, if I can find the correct passwords for the Router and for the WiFi.

This is when I found that the MODEM/Router appears to have lost all the previous know login credentials. Or has it? I may not be connecting to it . . .!

LONG STORY

I recently gave up my beloved Optus HF Cable - f-a-s-t and reliable (got more than the 100Mbps I was paying for as regularly measured by Ookla).

So now I am on 25Mbps for the same cost as previously for 100Mbps and getting almost 22Mbps. Not the worst thing. Wifi (with the supplied SAGEMCOM Gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN) coverage has dropped from 20+meters to less than 5meters and life w the missus is hell!

Complained to Optus for 2 months. So Optus sent me a NEW MODEM (Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864V3 AC). No coverage improvement.

Complained for another month. Optus finally "upgraded" me to 50Mbps for free, and I'm getting aound 47Mbps as per Ookla. THEN the support guy suggested that I hook up my "good" (Netgear) MODEM/Router to the "bad" Sagemcom and only use the Netgear WiFi.

So my setup (as suggested by the Optus support guy) now is:

NBN (using the existing Foxtel cable)-->NBN NTU-->Sagemcom - Wifi OFF, House Phone ON, LAN1-->Netgear LAN1 port, Netgear LAN port2 to this PC, Netgear WiFi ON.

PC works FINE in this config. Ookla 42Mbps (typical evening speed). But WiFi a bit iffy.

However, my FIRST PRIORITY is to connect to the Netgear and change the Router and WiFi credentials.

So, dear readers who have got this far in this missive, please can you help me connect to the Netgear. The Typical 192.168.0.1 takes me throught the Netgear to the Sagemcom.

I thank you for reading so far and look forward to your suggestions.

Cheeers

Chris

cherft

Hi Sparky

I'm copying a recent post of my own for your attention as you seem to know a good amount about these situations. I would value any feedback and also any help in connecting to my Netgear in this odd configuration I have.

Thanks a mil

Cheers

Chris

-------------------------------

Posted a short while ago:

SHORT STORY

My NETGEAR Gateway CG3000-2STAUS Internet WiFi MODEM/Router was "hung" (all lights on steady). So I tried restarting it a couple of times, then had to Factory Reset it. Came up all right and the cable internet connection working OK for this PC and the WiFi SEEMS to be working OK (drops out and in very frequently), but has reverted to its out-of-box SSID, which I want to change, if I can find the correct passwords for the Router and for the WiFi.

This is when I found that the MODEM/Router appears to have lost all the previous know login credentials. Or has it? I may not be connecting to it . . .!

LONG STORY

I recently gave up my beloved Optus HF Cable - f-a-s-t and reliable (got more than the 100Mbps I was paying for as regularly measured by Ookla).

So now I am on 25Mbps for the same cost as previously for 100Mbps and getting almost 22Mbps. Not the worst thing. Wifi (with the supplied SAGEMCOM Gateway F@ST 3864AC NBN) coverage has dropped from 20+meters to less than 5meters and life w the missus is hell!

Complained to Optus for 2 months. So Optus sent me a NEW MODEM (Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864V3 AC). No coverage improvement.

Complained for another month. Optus finally "upgraded" me to 50Mbps for free, and I'm getting aound 47Mbps as per Ookla. THEN the support guy suggested that I hook up my "good" (Netgear) MODEM/Router to the "bad" Sagemcom and only use the Netgear WiFi.

So my setup (as suggested by the Optus support guy) now is:

NBN (using the existing Foxtel cable)-->NBN NTU-->Sagemcom - Wifi OFF, House Phone ON, LAN1-->Netgear LAN1 port, Netgear LAN port2 to this PC, Netgear WiFi ON.

PC works FINE in this config. Ookla 42Mbps (typical evening speed). But WiFi a bit iffy.

However, my FIRST PRIORITY is to connect to the Netgear and change the Router and WiFi credentials.

So, dear readers who have got this far in this missive, please can you help me connect to the Netgear. The Typical 192.168.0.1 takes me throught the Netgear to the Sagemcom.

I thank you for reading so far and look forward to your suggestions.

Cheeers

Chris

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
84 Kudos
80 Kudos
68 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos