Searching...
Highlighted

Help With Your WiFi Modem Username & Password

[ Edited ]
Andy

You can use default Username / Passwords to view and edit your modem / router's Wi-Fi network name (SSID) & password.  These are:

• Default Username: admin
  • Default Password: password

For Optus Supplied Cable & NBN Broadband Modems / Routers

1. Switch your modem on & connect to your computer (wired or wirelessly)
  2. Open your internet browser and type in: http://192.168.0.1 (you don’t need to be connected to the internet to access this address)
  3. When asked: enter the default username: admin
  4. Enter the default password: password
  5. To see your Wi-Fi password, SSID, etc. Click on the Wireless or Wi-Fi setup menus.

For Optus Supplied DSL Broadband Modems / Routers

1. Switch your modem on and connect to your computer (wired or wirelessly)
  2. Open your internet browser and type in: http://10.1.1.1(you don’t need to be connected to the internet to access this address)
  3. When asked: Enter the default username: admin
  4. Enter the default password: password
  5. When asked: enter your primary OptusNet username and password (these can be obtained my My Account) into the ServiceNet authentication service and/or PPPoE fields.
  6. To see your Wi-Fi password, SSID, etc. Click on the Wireless or Wi-Fi setup menus.

Still not working?

You may need to perform a factory reset if the default password / username doesn't work.

Psst….It’s always good to change your modem / router's default password & username, including those for your Wi-Fi network to ensure your broadband connection is secure.

Re: Help With Your WiFi Modem Username & Password

Puzzled

Thanks for your post. This implies that if a home Optus modem is not working due to a line fault the mail.optusnet.com.au for all home accounts is then corrupted which seems to be my problem. Is this correct and if so, why is such critical information so easily corruptible within the network?

[ Edited ]
astrogon

Andy, great info but my initial response is, "no you can't" - unless I've missed something.

What are your thoughts to this?

I've recently received a Sagem F@ST 3864 router running - Software Version: 7.276_F3864V2_Optus, that worked staight out of the box, for an ADSL2+ connection that I've recently transferred over to from another provider.

The documentation provided with the router and your advice here align where it notes that the router access details are:

• username: admin
  • password: password

I've tried this advice and it doesn't work. I'm keen to change the defaults and secure the router according to my own password. For "fun", I initiated a factory reset and I still couldn't make any progress.

Notably, I'm not challenged to log in to the router. Other routers I've used, won't permit this, so I find it all rather unusual.

Tom

Hi astrogon, I can confirm that this particular router doesn't have admin access enabled. There's no password required to access it, though you of course have to be connected via Direct Ethernet cable or previously authorised on the WiFi network in order to access its menu. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Tom

Hi Puzzled - Hollie has responded to your other post. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

sparky1969

I have been scratching my head over this as well.

Am I correct in saying:

1. Optus' configuation/setup instructions for the SAGMENCOM router list the 'factory reset' username admin password as ADMIN // PASSWORD

2. These credentials don't actually work. And there is no way to change the internal passwords - dispite the 'locked down' firmware keeping a password change screen.

3. There are numerous place on Optus support and forums where moderators recomend changing modem default  passwords.

4. Despite this, Optus in it's wisdom has chosen to disable the ability to secure the network device they have provided. Using the reasoning that it *is* secure because you need a physical (wired) connection to the modem or 'authenticated' wireless connecion.

5. There is no way to change the device to 'modem only' (bridge mode) to allow a fuller featured router to be used.

• This 'security' allows unrestricted access to the modem/router to change settings from IP through to setting their own wireless password or Port forward to some outer decice.

• Yes, we are talking about home accounts, but concidering the recent laws passed about governments being to trace connections - there could be a real issue here.

•  Assuming restricting 'access' to wired or authenticated wireless is secure... Two Words: Edward Snowden. 

• I hope that Optus' own corporate networking is better secured

ekul

Can you use your own modem instead of Optus modem ?

Help with USB drive on the Netgear CG3000v2 modem

RI

Hi there, I connected a USB printer to the modem that came with the cable broadband connection - model is Netgear CG3000v2. However i am unable to see the modem anywhere on the network map. I am unable to print to the printer. How do i fix this problem ? please advise.

Dauntless2015

Almost every security expert recommends locking down your modem with your own new password instead of the default "admin" password, so I am shocked that Optus have disabled this feature.

So any visitor to your house / friends of your teenage kids can have unrestricted access to your router settings???

Are you serious Optus??? This is inexcusable. Why would they do this?

redskin253

Hi can I make more than wifi password for a seperate group ? 

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
76 Kudos
36 Kudos
34 Kudos
29 Kudos