cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Have no home phone

Hi

just recently got nbn installed but I don't have a nbn modem yet. Cause of this the installer said use the old modem for now and left it connected. Now I have had no home phone and dial tone for many days and optus support said to use this cause there is no technical support.

some please help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Have no home phone

There is nothing much that you can do unless your old modem is a "Sagemcom F@ST 3864". As far as I know only the old Optus 3864's and new 5366's work with NBN land lines.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am pretty sure it worked on the first day of the install
even though optus said phones not working is a priority, they were happy I had a mobile
no other solutions were made or problem checked
I think the new modem is due on Monday
I will keep fingers crossed
thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Bambookoo wrote:
I am pretty sure it worked on the first day of the install

Is the phone plugged into a wall socket or into the modem? If its into the wall socket (and your landline was an Optus one delivered over the Optus cable) then the reason it worked on the first day is the old land line was still active and would have been deactivated overnight. Similar thing happend to me. Phones over the NBN need to be plugged into the Phone 1 port on the back of the modem.

If the phone is plugged into Phone 1 port of the modem, and your current modem is a model 3864xxx or 5366xxx  (see sticker on back/bottom or modem) then your phone should work now and is unlikely to be fixed by just getting a new modem and probably require Optus intervention to fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

thanks for the info
checked the cable modem it is connected to
it is a cg3000
I will hope the new modem will fix this
thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Bambookoo wrote:
checked the cable modem it is connected to
it is a cg3000

So you are still using the old cable internet connection (i.e. the cg3000 is connected via the black round cable), and are not actually using a new NBN connection, correct?

Is your phone currently plugged into a wall socket or into the cg3000? If its in a wall socket, can you try plugging it into Phone 1 port of the cg3000. I don't know if that will work there is a chance it might, I just haven't come across your specific situation before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

got the modem today and you were totally right 

once connected my old phone started working

thanks

0 Kudos