cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
thomasmatthews
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: HUAWEI ban due to security & privacy concerns and Optus is OK with this?

Hi,

My name is Tom. I am indeed concerned about the security of HWAWEI 4 G WIRELESS BROADBAND B818.... with all the current concerns of Australia with China... if China is messing around with Australian economic matters, what is there to stop the chinese autocrats from interfering with the SECURITY of AUSTRALIAN INTERNET. I would wish to have another BRAND of 4g wireless broadbaand device.

Very concerned...83 year old Pensioner

12 December 2020

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@thomasmatthews ,

It is all a little bit new these days. Time was it those pesky Reds Under the Beds you could count on to be the bad guys. Now China's the new bad boy on the block. As with the Russians I'm pretty sure the China / Western tussle will be much more about rhetoric than substantive invasion. 

But that's just one man's opinion. What I can say is that the 5G Ban only applies to core network equipment (i.e. the stuff they bolt on the towers and run in the warehouses etc.). End user equipment is not affected (and the good reason for that is that its not critical infrastructure).

You can always plug in a different modem if you want to but you will lose the landline capability if you do. Failing that, I suggest you look around to other RSPs if the issue is that critical to you. Plenty of month to month plans that don't use a Huawai modem. Changing on the NBN is just a quick phone call and 15 minutes downtime.

0 Kudos
thomasmatthews
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice
Tom:-)
4.20pm
0 Kudos