cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

HUAWEI ban due to security & privacy concerns and Optus is OK with this?

@Optus  can you explain why despite serious privacy concerns and proven security flaws in so many of Huawei's products, you are both...

• FORCING many of your customers to use Huawei devices and actively preventing those customers from connecting to your network from devices manufactured by other vendors (eg. 4G Home Wireless Broadband 500gb customers)
  • Demonstrating (yet again) either your total incompetence or perhaps, negligence by locking these same devices with Optus firmware and then refusing to provide updates. There are many Optus-branded Huawei devices currently being used by Optus customers throughout Australia that have not received firmware updates for almost 2 years. To make matters worse, you then PREVENT customers independently updating the firmware on these devices.

I've raised this issue a number of times over the years and yet nothing has been done. For a telecommunications company to put so many customers privacy at risk is totally negligent on your behalf.

The very least you should be doing is allowing your customers to choose whether they are prepared to risk their privacy by offering BYOD on ALL your internet plans.

Tags (3)
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: HUAWEI ban due to security & privacy concerns and Optus is OK with this?

Possibly.

There's no real evidence of any active privacy issues with Huawei modems and phones. The bans on Hauwei are to do with critical core infrastructure. There's no such ban on end user equipment. Also the ban is only on 5G equipment. Huawei are still free to sell and install any 4G based technology they want worldwide.

Whilst firmware updates are often nice when it comes to basic connectivity equipment they may not be needed. I suspect half of all "security" updates these days are just empty files but the end user feels happy.

I can guess Optus don't like their equipment being updated as it would likely lead to increased support issues as random people installed random firmware and broke functionality.

IMO the choice on risking security and privacy is provided and made at the point of purchase. Optus is quite clear of the equipment (and manufacturer) and that you must use the equipment as provided.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@petergdownload  you simply have no idea what you're talking about. I know you like to think you've got all the answers and perhaps for some of the posts on these forums, you do. But trust me sunshine, when it comes to me, even on my worst day you still don't come close. Even if you disregard the discussions you and I have had previously, the difference here between you and me is evident by your reply to this post alone.

Firmware / software updates, particularly in telco are ESSENTIAL to ensuring both device functionality and given the nature of telecommunications equipment (here's a hint, what's the purpose of a telecommunications device?) security updates are also IMPERATIVE. And this isn't a matter of opinion, it's fact. Think iPhone "antenna-gate". It's why radio firmware in every single mobile device is required and often, customisations and changes are regularly made to suit locality and services offered by providers. And both Google and Apple wouldn't be spending millions to unnecessarily release security updates to their mobile operating systems on a monthly basis if they were "empty files" and offered no benefit.

In case the above isn't clear, the question was not addressed to you, I'm not interested in your opinion and you have nothing of any technical value to offer.

So, I'll throw this question back to the intended recipient, @Optus 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"Firmware / software updates, particularly in telco are ESSENTIAL to ensuring both device functionality ... and security updates are also IMPERATIVE."

And yet Optus 4G modems (for example) continue to work just fine years down the track without such updates. Firmware updates these days are more about added functionality IME but its obviously in the realm of nice to have. There are of course times when patches and updates are needed to fix a bug or security flaw but there's no indication of any widespread problem with Optus devices in this regard.

Not disagreeing with you that the ability to BYO device and control over equipment you own is definitely a big plus. Its long annoyed customers that Optus won't allow you to provide SIP details so you must use the Optus modem if you want to have a landline. Other companies are providing these benefits and if its important to you then I would take up those deals. I'm interested in what Optus or other crowd members has to say too.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

There is a BIG difference between firmware and software when you start talking to a embedded programmer or a system developer who knows about embedded devices.

In the vast majority of cases firmware updates are few and only last until the next modem of the device is out as most manufacturers want you to upgrade and force you to do this by stopping updates. Also most firmware update release notes I have seen and have been involved with are not easy to understand in some cases with regards to what changed as they are not designed for end users to read.

The problem now days is that Linux has replaces allot or RTOS's and as such allot of software developers are getting into the embedded device area and they don't have any idea about resources or multi threading in an embedded device or how to recover from exceptions/runaway threads.

As for Huawei no one has found any issues with the modems or phones or embedded devices Huawei sell and no one is as far as I have seen is banning these or stopping these from being imported/sold.

It is a different story for Huawei  networking devices (Mobile or internet switches etc) as these are what are being banned / stopped  checked etc.  So your original post did not reference these devices.

As for HOW Optus create havock by only selling Hawai and Nokia mobile modems (yes Nokia as well) to end users with cut down firmware that has features removed compared to overseas models I am in 100% agreement as it stops end users from upgrading the firmware and they have to wait for Optus to pull their finger out. There are ways to hack the firmware on some devices to allow you to upgrade them, but this cannot/should NOT be done by the vast majority of end users. If you know what a JTAG is used for then I would advise you go for it.

Only some of the Huawei modems are locked to the Optus network.

As for how Optus document that only the devices they sell work with the optus plans is not 100% correct based on what I have seen on some whirlpool threads and I know personally that the list does not include old modems that will work that are not included .

Overall the original post IMHO should be posted as three seperate posts as follows:

1) Why Optus document that they only support Huawei devices with Optus specific firmware, which stops the end user from upgrading the firmware when the manufacturer releases an upgrade s the end user has to wait for Optus to do a release.

2) Optus slow or non existed support for existing and past modems sold. You will need to supply details on this one to show that optus are either/both slow or do not release updates at all after they stop selling the modem.

3) Security flaws - need to give references or links as there are no details on this in you post and I have not seen any regarding Huawei phones or modems. There are generic issues with Android that are across the board with specific Android versions, but these are not just Huawei devices and as such if this is the case is yet another post.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@TheRealJoel As far as 4G Home Broadband product goes setup the B818 in Bridge Mode and use any router you choose.  

I am an Optus subscriber, just trying to help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Holy f*ck. It's like I'm dealing with an entire chorus of @petergdownload and I don't even know where to begin.

1) I am a developer with an extensive background in network architecture and engineering on a scale that I can almost certainly guarantee is bigger than everyone here collectively. And the code I write keeps the wheels turning in both your online world and the everything outside of it. Believe me, I'm more than qualified to make the statements included in my post and due to the nature of my role and the organisation that I'm involved with, I'm far more informed on the topic of privacy and threats to online security from companies such as Huawei. What you know, as clearly demonstrated by your replies isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

2) There is no number 2. I quite literally am not even going to try and argue or disagree with the myriad of mistakes and misinformation in your replies.

The only reason I posted here in the first place was because the clowns in Optus customer service seem to use "Covid 19" and the word "pandemic" on repeat to excuse providing even worse than usual service (which I didn't think was possible).

So again, I'm throwing this back to the intended recipient - @Optus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Think of this forum as like one of those security seminars in Dubai that you no doubt attend each year. There are lots of people with lots of different views and knowledge. However you've taken it on yourself to stand up in the back row and start yelling demands at the speaker on the stage. All the while telling everyone else in the room to be quiet because this is not a conversation that concerns them.

Put simply you seem to be in the wrong place and asking the wrong questions to the wrong people.

Personally I appreciate you keeping not only my internet but everything outside of it up and running. However if you do want to effect change you're probably going to have to do more than just tell everyone you're the smartest person in the room - on the internet nobody knows you're a dog.

Hopefully the person up on stage will shoot you a reply (although I'm pretty sure it will be fairly generic. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@TheRealJoel  Some real stats are that I have worked on systems with 400 VM's at the back end with 2800 remote sites with 96K networked devices in total at the sites. And this does NOT include all of the other systems I have been involved with or where my code has been used in.

Contributor
Contributor

@AndrewC1  - Congratulations. I don't care and am not impressed.

@petergdownload  - You're still a f*cking flog and talk tough when you're hiding behind your keyboard.

You guys clearly live your lives hanging out like a bunch of losers in Optus forums answering questions that were never addressed to you. Good for you.

Now, for the third time, @Optus  - your response please?

0 Kudos