Searching...
Highlighted

HOME PHONE CUT OFF TO FORCE NBN CONNECTION

WayneandRuth

So we get home tonight to find that our home phone has been ‘suspended’, with an “urgent” voice telling us that we have to call Optus to cut our service over to NBN! 

We have an 82 year old mother at home who uses it to call us and her sisters, but no regard for her welfare at all obviously.

We received a letter from NBN some time ago saying that services in our area would start being cut over in February 2020, but not a thing from Optus. In fact we’d made some enquires at the start of the month with Optus to ask about rates and plans, but no one mentioned that our service was going to be suspended imminently. 

This is smacks of bullying behaviour, where a provider just cuts you off and says you have to call them to be reconnected on their terms. Seriously?!?

Re: HOME PHONE CUT OFF TO FORCE NBN CONNECTION

Nackz

I have to say that sounds exactly pretty typical of optus. Their communication is non-existant and customer service is woeful. I have 2 plans (mobile and home phone/internet), and I'm counting down the days until I'm out of contract so I can go elsewhere.

I bet if you call or chat online it will go something like "ok we will look into it, your problem will be expedited and put at the top of the list, we will call/email tomorrow before 1pm", 2 months later you will still be waiting.

Im looking forwards to going back to telstra...

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I take it you were on Optus Cable before?

NBNCo were correct when they said existing services would usually be cut off 18 months after the NBN becomes active in your area. This applies to all households with one exception - you guessed it. In selling their cable network to the NBNCo Optus included/retained the right to terminate their service when they wanted. In general this has been three months after the NBN arrives in an area. Basically optus didn't want to be stuck running a very expensive cable service for 18 months when only a few customers remained on it, especially as it will then be junked completely.

FWIW three months is plenty of time however this does need to be properly communicated. I am a bit surprised there's no emails and letters explaining this as one of the main reasons Optus has taken this approach is to try fast churn existing customers onto a new Optus NBN network. But either they didn't or your Mum missed something so you've arrived at this point. Unfortunately your connection can't be restored, for both legal reasons and the fact Optus can't turn back on just your house, they'd have to turn the entire suburb back on.

Optus was fined quite a lot last year by the ACCC for telling customers they had to resign with Optus when the NBN arrived. So hopefully they won't be doing that. In point of fact Optus have essentially ended any contract with you on their side. You are free to choose any RSP to get an NBN connection (including Optus). Some require 12-24 month contracts, others offer month to month plans. But all will arrange for an NBN technician to come out and connect your Mum's home to the NBN. Unfortunately that is likely to take 2-4 weeks so you'd best pick a provider this week and get started. Note that all RSPs will use the same NBN wires into your house so the install and performance will be largely the same. Customer Service, Price and Plan Features should probably guide your selection.

Does your Mum need the Internet? Or just a home phone? Might she switch to a mobile for now?

Peter Gillespie

petergdownload

PS Having been cut off the other question that might be a factor is retaining your phone number. That might now be gone. Anyway something to ask for, but if it is then its a hassle but not too hard to tell people a new number. Removing a 'port' does make the transition a little easier technically.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
69 Kudos
49 Kudos
38 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos