Searching...

HFC network "Congestion"

DIMD

Does anyone have experience / advice for solving "congestion" issues that are 24/7? 

I can get a maximum of 9Mbps downloads on the speedtest.net site. It usually hovers in the 2-4 range most of the time though. I'd noticed a dire drop in speed and wifi range, so arranged with optus to have the modem replaced (it was 2+ years old). The tech that arrived to do that job informed me my line had "near 100% congestion, one of the worst I've seen". 

That was in June. Since then I've been on a customer service merry-go-round with Optus with no improvement. Their latest effort was to give a job number, promise a tech would visit, then close that job without contacting me "due to congestion". Awesome. 

I've been through all the usual tricks: resetting modem, disconnecting all other devices, using ethernet ports, etc etc. 

The latest official Optus advice was to either "use the internet less" or to "just wait". 

Given "there is no time frame to fix this" my next option is either A) wrangling with billing to get the payment to a level appropriate to the service actually provided or B) switch providers entirely. 

Any advice, or tales of success, or even just a sympathetic acklowledgment i'm not alone would be great. After talking to Optus reps I feel like i've been bashing my head against a brick wall Smiley Sad 

Re: HFC network "Congestion"

petergdownload

Unfortunately congestion isn't something that is really fixable on an individual level. This would be one of the reasons why the customer service people can't really offer any assistance - its not like they can call a tech who can fix it.

That said, the symptom you mention don't really suggest congestion is the issue. Congestion happens between 6pm and midnight as that's when everyone is trying to download from Optus the most. At 7am or even 2pm there's no congestion as theirs plenty of free bandwidth. What speeds do you get when you run a speed test at these times (google "speedtest" and use the built in google speed test button) - What's the speed right now (1pm) ?

Also what sort of NBN technology are you using? FTTN?

Changing providers may help improve things but if the issue is the actual NBN connection betwwen the ISP and your house then a new ISP will just end up with the same problem. But on the plus side, with speeds as low as yours you will probably have no issue exiting any contract without penalty if Optus can't fix things faast.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DIMD

Hey Peter, thanks for responding. I'm not on the NBN, just "regular" cable broadband with the (alleged) speed boost package. The speeds are consistently pretty average. I've had up to 13Mbps at 7pm before, and as low as 1Mbps about 1pm during the day. I work some shifting hours so i've been online working from home at 1am and getting frustrated at slow speeds before. Optus have done repeated "line tests" while i've been on hold with the tech support and they insist there's no problems, and I had the modem upgraded, so it's not that. 

They had no issues adding a new customer across the street recently. I'm going to wander over knock on their door and check what speeds they are getting! 

petergdownload

Checking with the neighbour is a great idea. 

Obviously there's an issue (but it doesn't sound like congestion) 

The theory is that the Optus network is due to be junked shortly. Already in a state of disrepair, its not getting much more spent on it now (so long as some signal is actually getting across). It can't be anything NBN are doing as they're not touching the Optus cable.

1Mbps-13Mbps is definitely problem territory.

Perhaps try turning off any WIFI (in the modem). Check all cables to the wall and modem are tight.

Alternatively disconnect everything from the modem. Connect to the modem over AC WIFI with your mobile (mobile data off) and run a speed test (it will be limited as wifi but the results may surprise)

How long before the NBN arrives?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

DIMD

NBN "planned Dec 2018" for FTTC past my premises. Given the amount of complaints I've seen from people who've moved from cable broadband onto the NBN I shall not be holding my breath. 

The cables to/from the wall and wifi-only testing has all been done without any change in service. I was looking into getting an expensive third party router and 'bridging' the modem, but I don't think that's going to help anything. I'll check it again when I get home - i'd love to be able to actually use my Fetch TV box and watch a film tonight.

Thanks for responding though. I've heard more helpful suggestions from you than I have in months from Optus.

petergdownload

No probs,

FTTC suggests you have no Telstra cable option. So unfortunately unless it gets resolved your stuck with Optus cable. 

Be interesting to see what the neighbor is getting. Only thing I can think of is when you next have a technician on the line or in your house (ask for another one) then they simply need to reconcile why a speed test gives them 10Mbps and yet they say the line is fine (those two things are not compatible statements). The two tests above are about isolating as much as possible to see if something in your equipment (PC, cables, etc.) is possibly the issue.

Good Luck.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

Highlighted

SuperStacy

Thanks for sharing. For what its worth, I have been having similar issues with Optus Cable/HFC in Glenroy over the last month.

Calls to customer service confirm that its an oversubscription problem.

Nbn isnt coming here until 2019 (or later).

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
42 Kudos
32 Kudos
32 Kudos
16 Kudos