Searching...

Going over data usage - Automatic charge

NoAutoChargePls

Hi everyone, just wondering how to turn off the automatical withdrawel when our data usage goes over. 

As usage has a delay sometimes I don't really want to be charged $10 for 1 GB, would prefer my net to just cut out or at least select if I want to purchase extra data. 

Happy with the service so far, this "function" just seems a bit scammy to me and I would liek to diable it. 

Re: Going over data usage - Automatic charge

Davelew

Hi

Like many Optus customers you are disgruntled with the auto charge for data and I am sorry to say Optus do not let you turn it off.

As you say a bit scammy and a sure way for Optus to make some extra profit.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Yes this has been discussed many times and there is no way of turning it off. You are totally reliant on the Optus data usage reporting and short of monitoring the data yourself there are no other options short of ditching the account and changing too prepaid. Some people would call it a scam and given the delay in the data usage reporting I would agree with them.

Highlighted

petergdownload

Don't get me started Smiley Frustrated Its a lousy way to treat your customers (Optus recently got fined $10 million for exposing customers to unwanted and hard to avoid fees and charges) Despite being refered to as "unconciousable conduct" Optus are continuing to levy this fee in pretty much the same way. 

If you want to play safe and have an Android phone then set up warnings and limits on your phone so you'll not accidentally go over your monthly limit. If you use Apple then you're out of luck as they don't believe in data limits either.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Davelew

2hrs 13mins @petergdownload.

I couldn't believe it took you that long on your favourite beef. Have you been having a little nano nap?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

I really should just put it in a blog and link to it - much less arduous Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

Yeldarb

He is not alone on that one Dave. The way both the main telcos have treated customers with excess data charges over the years has been disgraceful in my opinion.

[ Edited ]
Davelew

touché! @petergdownload

Agreed @Yeldarb

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Not so much touche as an acknowledgement there might be a better way.   Smiley Happy

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
95 Kudos
83 Kudos
41 Kudos
39 Kudos
31 Kudos