cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor ChrisB93
New Contributor

Get Rid of Old Coaxial Cable?

Hi, I recently moved into an old house and the modem is plugged into the wall with both a black ethernet-style cord (I think it is a telephone cord. Showing my youth here...) and a thick coaxial cable. I want to move the modem to the other end of the house where there is only a plug for the black ethernet-style cord. There doesn't seem to be any place for a coaxial cable other than the wrong end of the house. Is it possible to get a new style of modem that doesn't need a coaxial cable for an old house like this? Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Get Rid of Old Coaxial Cable?

The coaxial cable is your link to the internet. If that's not plugged in, no internet.

The question is why do you want to move the modem? Generally the internet comes into your house to the modem and then you can distribute the connections around your house (ethernet, wifi or ethernet over power)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor ChrisB93
New Contributor

I have a gaming computer without a wifi adapter, so need an ethernet cord plugged in. Housemates don't want a cable stretching the entire length of the house. The other option I've considered is a WiFi dongle for the computer, but I'd rather have ethernet. So the phone line plug can't provide the internet alone, it needs the coaxial? Can you explain what you mean by ethernet over power?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

This is the Optus option

Regards

Peter Gillespie