cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Majikalwhispers
Occasional Contributor

Re: Frequent Drop outs - Cable

I have same problem. I have NBN connected today, and we have had nothing but dropouts, so paying for something I can’t use. 

We had broadband and was so slow we couldn’t even watch fetch, so now have the NBN, lost half the Chanel’s we had and watch for couple of mins and it drops out for 3 mins .

im thinking its time to give Optus the flick. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hmm, that's a valid concern @Majikalwhispers.

There are several factors that are going to determine speeds on the end users end. First we have CVC capacity; depending on the number of customers we have connected to that CVC there'll likely be an impact to your maximum attainable line (especially during peak hours of usage). Obviously we'd need to complete a couple of checks to confirm whether that's the case. It also depends on the type of access technology that's been rolled out. For example HFC-NBN & FTTN type services utilise aged infrastructure. There could be line degradation or any number of issues that are causing dropouts on your end.

You'd really need to speak with our fault team 131344 or even our live chat team www.optus.com.au/livechat/pbb. If they do create a fault ticket for you, send that through and we can definitely follow up for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

When I had ADSL 2 I was on the phone to Optus CONSTANTLY, their final solution was I had a bad connection 🤪and that the area I was in was over loaded, and they offered to cancel my contract. We didn’t want to change because we had our home phone and 2 mobiles with them , so we held on for NBN. We now have NBN (FTTN) and when it works, it’s good,  it does not work long enough to watch a show on fetch or Netflix ect. 

I have had drop out after drop out. I run a freelance business from my home, and half the time takes 3 or 4 attempts to email or print....nightmare, and find I have to take my freelance work to my day job.

I have tried to call faults from work.....phone cuts out at home., but too hard to hold.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

When I had ADSL 2 I was on the phone to Optus CONSTANTLY, their final solution was I had a bad connection 🤪and that the area I was in was over loaded, and they offered to cancel my contract. We didn’t want to change because we had our home phone and 2 mobiles with them , so we held on for NBN. We now have NBN (FTTN) and when it works, it’s good,  it does not work long enough to watch a show on fetch or Netflix ect. 

I have had drop out after drop out. I run a freelance business from my home, and half the time takes 3 or 4 attempts to email or print....nightmare, and find I have to take my freelance work to my day job.

I have tried to call faults from work.....phone cuts out at home., but too hard to hold.

Very hard to do online chat when internet drops out 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

That's understandable @Majikalwhispers.

I don't have all the available tools at my disposal but I can definitely run a couple of checks for you from my end. Feel free to send us a PM with your full name, DOB and account number. If i can identify an issue, I can then guide you in the right direction. Look forward to hearing from you. 

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor JIM18D
New Contributor

Re: Frequent Drop outs - Cable & no

I just got my cable internet installed yesterday morning at Casrtle Hill NSW. Well G-O-D D-A-M-N IT OPTUS, the internet keep dropping since afternoon after 5 or 10 mins. Even I keep restart the both router & cable device more then 20 times, it still the same. Last night it was DEAD, no more internet. Even I keep call optus and try to livechat. I never successfully reach to anybody to talk about it. IT IS ABSOLUTLY HOLELESS SERVICE I EVR RECEVIED IN MY LIFE. I am so regret now & I shouldn't tempted to switch to optus!!! I would rather cancel my contact during this cool off period!! (P.S I even order to upgrade my phone with Optus through the livechat Sales, what they can do so far is give me a tempo order number & that 's it!! No confirmation email & nothing after 5 days!!! WHAT A GREAT S-H-I-T CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE!!!    

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor rkliffen
Occasional Contributor

I have this problem too.  I'm sitting at my computer and the cable connection drops out randomly.

Optus, can someone please investigate?  Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
New Contributor 78DUSTIN78
New Contributor

Roger,

I have cable for the whole time i have been with optus and always have problems with drop outs, slow downloads of under 2mbs, and disconnection on the weekends. Talked to optus so many times and yet there seems to be no solutions. I dont think they will ever get cable fixed. I am getting frustrated with optus that i am planning  to move all my services over to another provider. I spend over $500 a month with them and yet they keep sending technicians and etc out to fix the problem but no matter what they do... its the same. New modems, online techinical help, optus techs onsite and endless excuses. I am up to the stage of reporting to the ombudsman. Let me know if you have the same problem so that the ombudsman can try to resolve the issue.

Dustin

Occasional Contributor rkliffen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dustin,

My internet has been going up and down all day.  Up at the moment. 🙂  I'm home a lot at the moment so I notice it much more.  It also happens regularly throughout the evening as I'm sitting on my iPad or 'phone browsing on the 'net.

Speaking to Optus about it is difficult - they really aren't set up to effectively manage and resolve these sorts of problems.  And if it only effects a small percentage of their customers I can't see them spending too much time trying to fix intermittent problems.  Annoying for those of us affected, but probably in the noise to them.  Disappointing, but that's been my experience.

If the ombudsman was interested in investigating that would be great.  Unless of course if Optus staff are listening in on this conversation and "reach out to us" (as our American cousins would say) and fix the problem.

For me I think the my problem is a dodgy cable/connection in the street.  My street cable looks like it has been stretched, it's hanging down in a big loop.  But getting an Optus tech out to check would be really good.  Wishful thinking?

Thanks for replying.  Maybe something will come of it.

Roger

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

I appreciate you guys reaching out @78DUSTIN78 @rkliffen

We don't want you to feel as if your voices aren't being heard. Our technical case management team exist for the sole purpose of case managing customers impacted by an isolated internet fault (whether it's been identified as intermittent or not). 

Had bandwidth capacity been discussed with you guys at all? It's one of the major contributors to drop out issues. If the service drop outs due to Network congestion, there'll be a timestamp left on your service report with description code "session time out."

I'm happy to take a good look from my end. I'll make sure that RF/transmission levels are within spec. If I do notice something out of the ordinary, I can always refer you off to our case management team for further investigation. We'll go from there.

Look forward to hearing back.